HVDC Engineering Manager (Cables)
- Flexible UK
- £Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits
- Closing date
- 5 Feb 2023
- Design, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
- Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however, need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSE offices or depots around the UK.
Salary: £Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Transmission has an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineering manager, to join our HVDC engineering team. The HVDC Engineering Manager (Cables) is a key person to drive engineering governance, build engineering resilience and provide critical support to the strategic projects which underpin our Net Zero ambitions.
The key responsibilities of the HVDC Engineering Manager (Cables) are:
- Technical governance, including ownership and execution of the Design Management Plan (DMP), for HV cable system infrastructure projects (land and subsea)
- Technical risk reduction, leadership and senior decision making for respective projects
- Management of multidisciplinary team of project engineers, specialist consultants and engagement with key stakeholders
- Forecast and coordination of resources and technical support for respective project portfolio
- Forecast and ownership of budget/spend for departmental and project engineering activity
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Qualification of minimum BEng level in a relevant discipline (preferably with CEng)
- Proven track record in design/engineering management of large capital infrastructure projects within a client organisation
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, presentation, and organisational skills
- Working experience and understanding of ECC contracts and CDM regulations
- Working experience and understanding of transmission networks, HVDC, EHV cables and offshore installation would be advantageous
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona.Allan@sse.com.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert