By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in managing a team to contribute to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid. As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values (Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative) that capture the spirit of how we work.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems. RACE’s objective is to create an internationally recognised centre of technical leadership for Remote Applications in Challenging Environments, delivering complex solutions, developing new technologies and supporting UK industry.
Who are we looking for?
As Principal Electronics Engineer you will provide technical and project leadership on large, complex, cross-disciplinary projects within RACE, influencing the direction of UKAEA Projects and the customer organisation. You'll bring specialist technical knowledge and direction in a complex field of Remote Handling in a safety regulated, high-radiation and hazardous environments. You will propose, define, manage, and deliver the major projects and lead the project teams. You'll also serve as a point of authority within the specilaist disciplines whilst working on the projects and advise on technical solutions, designs and/or critical plant operational issues.
What will you be responsible for?
- Accountable for leading the programme or project from concept through to detailed design, manufacture, installation and testing as part of the wider programme.
- Provide expert knowledge in electronics design throughout project lifecycle in data processing, communications, and power electronics for automation.
- Define and lead process for quality control delivery of electronic components and system integration.
- Build UKAEA’s internal capability in electronic system delivery of enhancement programs for UKAEA’s facilities, future Fusion facilities and decommissioning challenging.
- Working extensively with the customer, their suppliers, other research institutions in the UK and across Europe, as well as industrial suppliers to the UKAEA.
- Author and assist in proposal creation in response to Technical Specification including costings and schedules. Propose additional projects as well extensions and additional scope to existing projects and risk management.
- Support the project managers in informing and controlling project budgets. Manage all technical project activities and co-ordinate and deploy resources effectively. Authorise completion of project milestones and major documentation to ensure quality.
- Assume a position of technical expertise and lead in setting the direction of the projects in this capacity.
- Acting as an authority and advisor for design solutions and/or critical plant operational issues. This includes developing technical processes and/or operating procedures for the project and adhering to technical control processes.
- Working with the Electrical Unit Leader and project managers; assign, coordinate & review workload and coordinate the activities for fusion environment application and explore synergies with other industries.
- Proactively transfer knowledge. Accountable for the development of more junior engineers in areas of expertise, using Coaching and Mentoring as tools or other approaches as deemed appropriate.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- A relevant engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Chartered Engineer status or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record managing engineering teams developing complex high technology systems.
- Experience in requirements capture and validation, including a systems-based approach to
designing electronic systems.
- Proven record of delivering complex projects to time and budget.
- Proven microprocessor and FPGA implementation experience
- Expertise in analogue and digital circuitry
- Experience in simulation of electronic circuitry within software and breadboarding
- Strong first principles approach with experience delivering tolerance and lifetime calculation
- Failure mode avoidance experience with demonstrable knowledge of associated processes - DFMEA
- Knowledge of best practice approaches for design in accordance with global EMC standards
- Competent user of schematic capture and PCB design tools
- Experience with harsh environmental considerations and highly regulated industries.
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams and supervising other staff.
- Good communication, technical writing skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- The design constraints imposed by nuclear environments, particularly fusion.
- Electronics design experience in Space and Radiological areas
- Altium Designer knowledge
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 07/02/2023. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance. The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK Government website. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.