- Geneva, Switzerland
- Closing date
- 10 Feb 2023
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a skilled electrical technician, willing to take an active role in operation, maintenance and construction works associated with equipment and systems for CERN’s buildings and infrastructure? Join CERN and offer your technical expertise to the world’s largest particle physics laboratory. CERN, take part!
You will join the Infrastructure Section (IN), within the Site Asset Management (SAM) Group, which is in charge of the operation, maintenance, design, tendering and work phases of Hvac, Electrical and Sanitary installations for buildings.
As Electrician Technician in the low-voltage activity, you will:
- Take part in the definition of technical proposals according with user requirements for construction projects, modifications and renovation works.
- Perform studies or designs of electrical systems including sizing and cost estimates for the proposed solutions.
- Draw up technical specifications and all relevant documents that will be used for quotations by external contractors.
- Works follow-up (tests and acceptances) and report on activities, schedules, costs.
- Operate installations: electrical boards, electrical power distribution in offices and laboratories, lighting management and networks, and carry out electrical consignments.
- Analyze data and information pertaining to maintenance (via Computer Maintenance Management software and by inspections onsite).
- Making sure that all necessary safety measures are taken on work sites.
- Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electricity or a related field.
- Professional qualification for construction context or safety context in electrical installations.
- Extensive experience in works and quotations of electrical systems for buildings and for industry, including electrical power systems in building management systems (BMS).
- Proven experience in the maintenance or operation in the electrical field.
- Proven experience in the technical application of French and/or Swiss electrical standards.
- Experience in the use of Computer Maintenance Management (CMM) tools.
- Experience in coordination of technical activities.
The following will be considered as an asset:
- Experience in PV panel installations.
- Design and modelling of low-voltage electrical circuits and networks
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Operation and maintenance of electrical circuits and networks
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind Driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquiring it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.01.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SCE-SAM-IN-2022-161-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician
Imagine taking part in the largest scientific experiment in the world. CERN needs more than physicists and engineers – if you’re a student, a graduate, just starting your career or an experienced professional, Whatever your field of expertise, CERN could be your next opportunity: take part!
CERN is a truly unique organisation. A genuine collaboration between countries, universities and scientists, driven not by profit margins, but by a commitment to create and share knowledge.
People here are part of immense scientific discoveries, answering some of life’s most complex questions and pushing the boundaries of understanding. Experts from every field come here to share in this ambition and the nature of this collaborative, international community creates a genuine atmosphere of trust. People are free to work creatively and to trust in, and rely on, their colleagues across the organisation.
History’s being made here – and the excitement is tangible, inspiring, overwhelming at times. It is the only place in the world that you can do this work in this way.
CERN. Take part.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert