Aerospace Structural Repair Design Engineer
- Ministry of Defence
- Wittering, Peterborough
- Closing date
- 11 Feb 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Design, Electro-Mechanical, Maintenance & Service, Project Engineering
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
The MOD needs an experienced aerospace design engineer to work within a small civilian design team at Royal Air Force Wittering. The work is varied, and you could find yourself working on anything from modern aircraft such as the Hawk, Typhoon or P8A to the historic aircraft of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Our design engineers produce aircraft structural repair design schemes and In-Service Design Changes for fixed wing military aircraft. Your designs may be for the repair of metallic or composite structures, structural modifications of a minor nature which may include the use of additive manufactured components or could be ad-hoc draughting tasks. You will need to substantiate your designs with supporting calculations and all work is necessarily checked for accuracy. Experienced designers who meet the essential criteria may be nominated as check signatories which attracts a market skills allowance of £ 3000.00 per year or as a Compliance Verification Engineer or Stress Note Signatory which will attract a market skills allowance of £ 5000.00 per year. The work requires travel to remote sites to carry out aircraft design surveys including measurements and photography, and this may require overnight stay. During your work you will liaise with aircraft delivery teams, repair teams, non-destructive test teams, external design organisations, manufacturers and suppliers. Depending upon experience you may need to attend mandatory training courses at various locations throughout the UK. You will work 37 hours per week as part of our flexible and hybrid working schemes and may also be eligible to apply for compressed working hours. If you would like to find out more, please contact the Design Team Leader via the link below or go ahead and apply on the CS Jobs website.
The ideal candidate will have experience in either a DAOS approved or EASA Part 21(J) Design Organisation, but this is not essential. The required skills are as follows:
1. You will have either:
• A minimum of three years’ experience as an aerospace design engineer in aircraft structural repair, modification or stress analysis with the necessary computer aided design skills or;
• A minimum of three years’ experience in aircraft repair or modification installation with the necessary Computer Aided Design (CAD) skills.
2. Experience of CAD systems such as AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor with the ability to produce detail drawings to meet the requirements of BS 8888. Experience will be verified by CAD assessment following the interview. The CAD assessment will gauge the candidate’s ability to produce a 3D solid model and extract 2D views using Autodesk Inventor.
3. An understanding of aircraft structural loads, materials and structural failure.
DESIRABLE CRITERIA (Not Essential)
1. Experience of aircraft stress analysis in relation to aircraft structural repairs or modifications.
2. Experience of aircraft composite repair design.
3. Experience in the use of 3D scanning software and printing.
4. Experience in the design of additive manufactured parts.
5. understanding of military and civil airworthiness requirements.
6. Understanding of the air system document set.
7. Experience of finite element analysis tools such as FEMAP or Nastran/Patran.
8. Microsoft office skills.
The minimum requirement is an aerospace based HNC but candidates with higher level qualifications such as HNC, HND. degree etc in aerospace-based subjects are welcome to apply.
We are responsible for an inventory in excess of £30 billion and work closely with industry to provide equipment and services for military operations. With a £1.2 billion annual operating expenditure and responsibility to deliver around £13 billion of new equipment, in-service and logistics support each year on behalf of the Armed Forces, we are continually striving for excellence
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert