About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | Base Locations of Perth, Glasgow, Inverness or Aberdeen | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception.
Salary: £61,100 to £91,700 + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The duties and responsibilities of the Principal Engineer - Substations/ Electric Plant are:
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications and guidance notes required for all electrical primary plant, e.g. GIS/GIB, AIS CBs, Disconnectors, Earth Switches, Instrument Transformers, Arresters, MSCDN, Filters, etc., or substation design used on the Transmission network and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority, review test plans to ensure that all technology and equipment selected is adequately tested, proven and validated and review proposed suppliers to confirm their suitability to be approved for use on the transmission network.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority, provide specialist input where required, verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the transmission business for new plant and replacement and to Operations regarding equipment capability or fault investigations of failed plant.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events such as ENA, IEC or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience in the design, specification and application of transmission voltage substations or electrical plant such as AIS or GIS switchgear, instrument transformers or FACTS/HVDC.
- The ability and experience to technically assess issues and/or problems and critically assess a range of technical solutions and an in depth understanding of the technical requirements for design, planning, operation and development of the transmission network.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of National Grid, British and European Standards alongside the capability and experience in writing technical specifications, guidance notes and work instructions for plant, equipment or substation design.
- Experience in designing, manufacturing, testing, installation or maintenance of transmission voltage plant and equipment would also be advantageous, but not essential.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 344049.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.