Head Of Engineering G7
- Ministry of Defence
- DMS Whittington, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14 9PY
- Closing date
- 13 Feb 2023
- Civil & Structural, Materials, Mechanical, Project Engineering
- Job Type
- Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager, Director & Senior Management
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) plays a key role in keeping our country safe by managing and looking after the Defence estate and everyone who depends on it. This estate is one of the UK’s largest and most diverse property portfolios and enables our armed forces and Defence civilians to live, work, train and deploy, all with sustainability in mind. From net carbon-zero accommodation to runways for F35 fighter jets, our work is exciting and totally unique, and our people operate both in the UK and around the globe.
As a natural communicator, you will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills. You will be a team player and capable of inspiring and motivating others. You will be a creative problem solver with a strong sense of integrity and ethics and have the ability to think and act in an objective and analytical manner.
About the Role
Right now, our Technical Services teams are looking for Engineers with specialist knowledge of the following:
- Civil Engineer – Structures
- Civil Engineers – Weapon Effects on Structures
- Civil Engineer – Airfield Pavement Design
- Civil Engineer – Railway Infrastructure
- Civil Engineer – Maritime Infrastructure
- Mechanical Engineering
Your responsibilities will include working to understand how we manage our assets, where they are and how they operate, and the review and development of standards and policies which form the basis of Technical Service assurance role. You will have the opportunity to use your engineering expertise to enhance MODs technical infrastructure to ensure that it remains fit for purpose and meets the operational and strategic requirements of defence capability. We’ll also expect you to provide highly visible leadership and the technical expertise we need for the development and deployment of engineering in the DIO and wider MOD.
Whatever your specialism, you will offer hands-on, evidence-based technical skills, and support the development and implementation of strategies and plans for our huge portfolio of assets.
Working with other engineers and stakeholders to develop policy and standards which will ensure that MOD has a safe place to live, work and train. These form the basis from which Technical Services can undertake its primary function of assurance.
As a key member of a diverse team of engineers you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively over a wide spectrum of specialism and varied portfolio. We are looking for people at all stages of their career and therefore you will contribute to development of yourself and other.
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Degree in chosen field or equivalent
- Chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution or eligibility for
- Skilled at presenting complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Skilled in creating and maintaining organisational networks
- Full UK Driving Licence - required to enable travel to office or remote project sites not accessible by public transport. Please note: DIO covers journey costs, providing hire cars and fuel cards for UK wide travel.
- Some of listed roles may be eligible for a £3,000 allowance
In return, you will enjoy a superb range of benefits, including enhanced parental leave and 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service. You will benefit from a c.27% employer pension contribution, as well as plenty of opportunities for Continued Professional Development, access to funded professional qualifications and specialist training.
We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life and offer a hybrid working approach. You will benefit from significant flexible working options in line with our “Smarter Working” policy.
Most of our sites have sports and social clubs, a gym, on site shops and subsidised canteens, and you will have the opportunity to join one of our Diversity and Inclusion networks.
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme with an average employer contribution of 27%.
- Alternative working practices such as working from home.
- Opportunity to join one of our several D&I Networks. We value diversity and are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service.
- Enhanced Parental Leave.
- Most sites have free car parking, Sports & Social Clubs, Gym, on site shops and subsidised canteens.
To learn more about our full range of benefits, view our Candidate Information Guide attached.
To hear from a range of Engineers on their positive career experiences in the Ministry of Defence, and how we champion all forms of diversity in our community please follow the link – Defence Engineers – Give it all you are
VAdm Paul Marshall CBE (Defence Head of Profession Engineering) in discussion with Dr Bethany Hickton regarding perceptions of Defence Engineers. My Lived Experience as a Civilian Defence Engineer
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation is committed to representing modern Britain in all its diversity, and creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and perform at their best.
We are responsible for an inventory in excess of £30 billion and work closely with industry to provide equipment and services for military operations. With a £1.2 billion annual operating expenditure and responsibility to deliver around £13 billion of new equipment, in-service and logistics support each year on behalf of the Armed Forces, we are continually striving for excellence
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert