Head of Electromagnetic Compatibility & Radiation Effects
- up to £60,000
- Closing date
- 25 Feb 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Salary:up to £60k dependent on experience + bonus + benefits
Hybrid working pattern: This role offers the opportunity for a balance of on-site and remote working
Do you have EMC experience and are looking for the next step in your career? If so, keep reading!
An opportunity has arisen within the Environmental Engineering & Facilities (EE&F) UK Function for a Senior Principal Engineer to lead the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) & Radiation Effects (RE) Department.
The team consists of approximately 23 engineers (including 4 direct reports) in Bristol. EE&F is integral within all MBDA land, sea and air based weapon system Projects and operates at all stages of the product lifecycle. Within this role you will be responsible for the delivery of EMC and RE task packages through the provision of technical management and leadership as well as management of our EMC test facilities.
What we're looking for from you:
- People management and leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to motivate a team
- Understanding of EMC requirements, environments and associated testing, equipment and facilities
- Experience of the application of EMC and military standards within the Defence Sector
- Understanding of the key activities across the Product Life-Cycle
- Experience of financial budgets and defining work packages
- Project Management skills and experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills
- To lead the UK EMC & RE Department, applying specialist technical knowledge and advice to projects and sub-contractors, with overall responsibility for Department deliverables
- Enable technical experts and team leads to ensure that the proving logic, plans and delivery is consistent with the Project needs
- Provide clear and positive leadership that delivers the Functional vision, to maintain high performance and job satisfaction
- Conduct day to day Functional management of the EMC & RE Department
- Ensure that all EMC & RE activities have project management plans and establish effective communication with key stakeholders
- Ensure that the objectives, resource requirements, budgets and timescales are met in accordance with the agreed statements of work
- Support improvement activities, including development of the people, skills and capabilities in the Department
Some of the key challenges for the role include:
- Linking the EMC & RE and Project Teams with a view across MBDA Projects
- Working across Functional and international boundaries to resolve complex technical and people management challenges
- Maintaining competency level of staff and achieving skills profile
- Developing EMC & RE strategies to keep pace with emerging technologies
What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert