Principal Engineer – HV Cables
- Flexible Scotland | Base Location Perth, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen
- £61,100 - £91,700 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits
- Closing date
- 28 Feb 2023
- Design, Electrical, Systems
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland | Base Location Perth, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception.
Salary: £61,100 - £91,700 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The duties and responsibilities of the Principal Engineer – HV Cables are:
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications and guidance notes required for all HVAC or HVDC cables used on the Transmission network and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority, review test plans to ensure that all technology and equipment selected is adequately tested, proven, validated and review proposed suppliers and their factories to confirm their suitability to be approved for use on the transmission network
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority, provide specialist input where required, verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the transmission business for new HVAC or HVDC cables, cable replacements and cable repair.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events such as ENA, IEC or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience in the design, specification and testing of transmission voltage HVAC or HVDC cables.
- The ability and experience to technically assess issues, problems and/or faults related to HVAC or HVDC cables alongside an in depth understanding of the technical requirements for design, installation, operation and maintenance of HVAC or HVDC cables as well as experience in HVAC or HVDC cable testing.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of National Grid, British and European Cable Standards alongside the capability and experience in writing technical specifications, guidance notes and work instructions for HVAC or HVDC cables, cable laying and installation (land and/or subsea).
- Experience in manufacturing of HVAC or HVDC cables would also be advantageous.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 344049.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert