Data-Center Engineer (EP-LBC-2023-3-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Closing date
- 28 Feb 2023
- Electronics, Maintenance & Service, Scientific, Systems
- Computing & IT, Sciences
- Job Type
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Uncovering the mysteries of the origin of matter is the goal of the LHCb experiment at CERN. This requires analyzing an unprecedented amount of data in real-time. A dedicated state-of-the art data-center very close to the detector houses the large amount of servers (more than 4000), network-devices, storages (almost 50 PB) and other cutting-edge hardware used for the selection of the most interesting data. Joining a small team of engineers and technicians, you will be in charge of the data-center operations, the hardware life cycle and for some of the crucial infrastructure appliances.
- Organize and perform corrective and preemptive maintenance on data-center infrastructure: racks, adiabatic cooling, in-rack power-distribution;
- Responsible for data-center operations, including energy efficiency, availability, and safety;
- Manage the life-cycle of server, storage, and network hardware: procurement, rollout, operation, decommissioning;
- Operate and maintain shared storage appliances and enterprise virtualization infrastructure;
- Ensure reliable functioning and availability of servers and applications and manage incidents;
- Provide technical support for the user community and write technical documentation.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of engineering, computer science, electronics or a related field.
- Proven experience in the operation, troubleshooting and optimization of data-center cooling systems, in particular free air-cooling with adiabatic assist;
- Demonstrated experience in the management of storage appliances; knowledge of NetApp ONTAP would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in the management of virtualization infrastructure (hardware and software); knowledge of RedHat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of monitoring and debugging tools.
- Installation, operation and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems, in particular datacentres and virtual machines;
- Knowledge and deployment of computing hardware;
- Knowledge of operating systems.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than "gold-plated" technical solutions; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan;
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues;
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
Spoken and written English. Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.02.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-LBC-2023-3-LD
Imagine taking part in the largest scientific experiment in the world. CERN needs more than physicists and engineers – if you’re a student, a graduate, just starting your career or an experienced professional, Whatever your field of expertise, CERN could be your next opportunity: take part!
CERN is a truly unique organisation. A genuine collaboration between countries, universities and scientists, driven not by profit margins, but by a commitment to create and share knowledge.
People here are part of immense scientific discoveries, answering some of life’s most complex questions and pushing the boundaries of understanding. Experts from every field come here to share in this ambition and the nature of this collaborative, international community creates a genuine atmosphere of trust. People are free to work creatively and to trust in, and rely on, their colleagues across the organisation.
History’s being made here – and the excitement is tangible, inspiring, overwhelming at times. It is the only place in the world that you can do this work in this way.
CERN. Take part.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert