Data Engineer (Consulting) - Defence (Hybrid)
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 3 Mar 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
The Digital Defence Services Business Unit in BAE Systems Digital Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions for digital transformation to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking for experienced Data Engineers (Consultants) to join our team following continuous growth and success in the UK Government and Defence sectors. Behind great solutions there are great people: our employees. We pride ourselves on being able to solve some of our customers’ most complex problems.
Our people are what differentiate us, they are ingenious, innovative and dedicated. We have a mix of generalists and specialists and recognise that this diversity contributes to our success. In general, we work in teams. We recognise the benefits of forming teams from a mix of disciplines, which allows us to come up with balanced, high quality solutions.
The Consultant Data Engineer specialises in helping clients within large scale projects and programmes to help shape specific solutions. However, they will also need to develop a holistic view of the organisation.
Our breadth across the UK Government and Defence sectors provides diverse opportunities for our people to develop their careers in new areas of expertise or with new clients.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, and robust code.
- Experience with software engineering best practices and good development hygiene.
- Experience with big data technologies.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- Team player, able to work well with colleagues of all backgrounds and seniorities, including client colleagues, other consultants, and partnering organisations.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present complex technical concepts to broad array of stakeholders of varying technical understanding and seniority, with appropriate tailoring.
- Adaptable with strong ability to pick up new domain specific knowledge and understand the context of a project.
- Able to guide, lead and develop peers.
Will ideally have knowledge and prior experience of implementing some of the following technologies:
- Python or Scala/Java
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Kubernetes, Docker, containerisation
- VMware, Ansible, Packer, Terraform & Jenkins
- Apache Kafka with ZooKeeper
- HDFS, Hadoop, GraphQL
- Rancher, Harbor, Prometheus/Grafana, Longhorn
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/united-kingdom-security-vetting
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert