Software Test Engineer
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Gloucester, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 3 Mar 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Test Engineering is the gatekeeper to the quality of our deliveries to our customers around the world. Our systems support Governments and Customers around the World in helping them defend against cyber threats and so they must be able to rely on the quality of our products. The test engineer has the opportunity to work across the system lifecycle from test definition to customer acceptance and can directly influence the outcome of our projects.
The role interfaces both with our development teams (at sprint level to influence design discussions around testable and reusable code), project teams (at System Acceptance) and delivery functions (at User Acceptance).
What you could be doing for us:
- Analysing test requirements, designing and producing re-usable test scripts and specifying requirements for environments, data and test tools required
- Overcoming development obstacles to deliver quality testing on time
- Reviewing test artefacts produced by peers
- Reviewing test results and modify the test suite as necessary
- Defining and creating test cases from the analysis of non-functional specifications
- Designing and executing performance test scripts, security tests and define and executing usability tests with the client
- Analysing requirements for test automation and designs the technical solution, including coding, modifying and documenting test automation scripts and programs, implementing and configuring automation test tools and planning and implementing keyword driven test tools
- Reviewing and assuring the scope and execution of Unit Tests and Integration Tests performed by Software Engineers
- Describing to Software Engineers how their work will be, or has been, tested such that the Software Engineers gains insight into the tester’s interpretation of the requirements
- Execute Session-based (Exploratory) Testing where scripted testing is inappropriate or requires augmentation
What background are we looking for?
- Experience of managing a group of testers
- Experience of creating Test Strategies and Plans
- Test Management software (Zephyr, HP ALM preferred)
- Convert Customer/Product Requirements to effective test/use cases
- Experience of system testing, preferably with some exposure to low level (i.e. non GUI) testing
- Experience of investigating root causes of discovered issues and providing corrective actions - either individually or in conjunction with the development team
- Ability to evaluate test results against customer requirements
- Defect Tracking and Knowledge Management software (Atlassian JIRA and Confluence preferred)
- Ability to create comprehensive test execution reports with metrics
- Promote test engineering within the company
Essential competencies and experience
- ISTQB Foundation Qualification
- Knowledge of Testing Methodologies
- Experience in planning, estimating and designing system testing
- Test case design and execution to meet functional / use case requirements
- Upper intermediate English (ability to clearly communicate with English speakers in the workplace)
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Customer facing skills
Desirable competencies and experience
- ISTQB Advanced Qualification
- WebAPI testing and tools
- Some level of Knowledge in computer networking and protocol(TCP, IP, UDP, DHCP, NTP,SSL, HTTP, IMAP,etc)
- Knowledge about Big Data environment and ecosystem
- Experience of working in Linux environment
- Some Knowledge on network protocol analyser tools ( wireshark, tcpdump, etc)
- Shell scripting and python experience for test automation
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
Due to the security aspects of this role, we require 5 days on site per week or 4 days per week if doing compressed hours
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert