Junior Systems Engineer
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Canberra, Australia
- Closing date
- 20 Feb 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence are urgently seeking a dynamic and ambitious Junior Systems Engineer to join a high-performing team engaged on a range of large-scale public sector engagements.
System Engineers must deliver solutions with consideration of through-life solution operation, such as operational support and management, integration, change and extension, migration and re-platforming, productisation, re-use, withdrawal/retirement and disposal.
Systems Engineers are responsible for architecting solutions where multiple systems must come together to meet the client’s ultimate needs; often referred to as a ‘Systems of Systems’ approach. Systems Engineers must have a broad understanding of disciplines spanning hardware, software and other engineering disciplines. Typically Systems Engineers will have a specialism (e.g. electronics, software etc.), but a broad understanding of the multi-disciplinary nature of engineering method is essential. Systems Engineers work to define system boundaries in complex systems, breaking complex situations into modular components that may be realised. The Systems Engineer can understand both the detailed and the high-level implementation, and can articulate both concurrently.
Please note that this role requires Security Clearance, or at least the ability to obtain Security Clearance.
To demonstrate complete understanding of, and act as the point of authority for, the totality of the engineering problem. Works with solution architects and other architects to define the solutions to best satisfy the business need
Responsible for defining and managing the engineering approach.
Oversees and assures the implementation of the design in collaboration with other design team members
Ensures that the design meets key functional and non-functional requirements and will allow operational and through-life scenarios required for the solution to be satisfied.
Owns and manages technical and solution risks. Works to reduce and mitigate such risks at the earliest practical opportunity
Leads estimation efforts to rapidly develop an understanding of potential solution costs and delivery timescales, including appropriate Service regimes for solutions in production operation
Retains overall ownership of solution through delivery and transition into operation and/or subsequent refinement, or modification.
Ensures that appropriate standards (corporate, industry, national and international) are adhered to.
Works with quality and test management functions to ensure that proposed test strategies and approaches are fit-for-purpose.
Work with Delivery Assurance functions to agree how the quality and progress of a given solution delivery should be tracked, and become an expert resource to support interventions on projects where solution quality or progress has become an issue.
Responsible for the specification, flow-down and acceptance of requirements to 3rd parties.
Responsible for managing the functional and non-functional requirements set out on the contract.
Establishes policy and strategy for the selection of systems engineering approaches, promoting the discipline to ensure consistency.
Works with client technical authorities or Enterprise architecture functions to ensure that they have a clear understanding of architecture and design proposals at an appropriate level, and that environmental and other standards/constraints within the client domain have been dealt with appropriately.
- Design, build and maintain automation solutions for building, testing, deploying application, and infrastructure.
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams to problem solve, knowledge share, and collaborate to achieve common goals.
- Maintain products produced from development through to operations.
- Ensure security is considered early in the development lifecycle and constantly maintained.
- Design and document architectures using best practice, patterns, and frameworks.
Skills & Experience in your Toolkit:
- Continuous Integration - skilled in the tooling and principles of continually building, testing, and integrating the software that developers produce.
- Continuous Deployment - skilled in the automation of the deployment of the artefacts produced by the CI.
- Configuration Management - practice good configuration and source code control of all artefacts.
- Cloud Platforms - should be confident with the configuration of a least one public or private Cloud platform.
- Operating Systems - should be able to configure, harden, and maintain at least one flavour of operating system.
- Containerisation - experience with at least one containerisation platform and orchestration tool.
- High-level understanding of application development technology to enable build and deployment.
- Databases - should be able to deploy and maintain different database management systems and understand enough to fault find issues.
- Legacy infrastructures - need to be able to understand the legacy technology in certain projects.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is creating an environment for engineers to grow and maximise their potential, providing the platform to learn and innovate, as they encourage a growth mindset. This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic and ambitious Junior Systems Engineer to join a global service provider at the forefront of highly impactful, critical government projects.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence provides a structured career path with extensive scope for career progression, as well as a market leading remuneration package.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert