Manufacturing Engineer / Production Engineer
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 2 Mar 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence we produce state-of-the-art electronic products which are critical for the safety of our society and the protection of industry in the UK and across the globe. A rigorous manufacturing framework underpins these products, ensuring the products we deliver to our customers are of consistently high quality, and are resilient throughout their service life.
As a Manufacturing Engineer you will be responsible for all the engineering aspects associated with the production of complex electronics products, working closely with development teams and reporting to senior stakeholders. You will work across all stages of the product lifecycle, including productionisation, production and support, leading to you developing a high level of technical understanding of our products. You will apply manufacturing principles of electronic and mechanical engineering in order to identify improvements and overcome technical issues quickly.
Being surrounded by our highly-skilled engineering and management community, you will be mentored and receive the training you require to perform your role successfully, through a combination of on the job and formal training. You will have the opportunity to gain professional registration, and will be given real responsibility from day one.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to our success. We are proud to have a culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, candidates must be willing to undergo a UK security vetting procedure.
- Preparing new product designs from our development teams for full scale production.
- Configuration Management of new designs, ensuring everything is appropriately baselined (as-designed and as-built).
- Sourcing complex electro-mechanical parts for builds, determining the roadmap for key components and then reporting effectively to design stakeholders.
- Incorporating Design-for-Manufacture and other “Design-for-X” principles into the development of products.
- Integrating, testing and supporting electronic products.
- Developing manufacturing procedures and evolving them in line with the maturity of a given product
- Establishing practical production test methodologies whilst still in design phase to allow smooth roll-out to sub-contractors.
- Managing builds with Subcontractors on behalf of project teams, reporting issues and solving problems as they arise, keeping administration in line with current plans
- Preparing and managing the release of manufacturing packs for prototype builds including BoMs, documentation and feedback for review.
- Ensuring our products are safe to produce and safe to use.
- Proactively identifying and recommending opportunities for process improvement.
- Reporting engineering status to senior stakeholders.
Skills and Experience:
- A degree-level qualification in an engineering or science discipline.
- Familiarity with electronic components and their in-circuit functionality
- Working in a live production and/or support environment, delivering against tight timescales and being adaptable to changing requirements.
- Operation of electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, network analysers, function generators, etc.).
- Fundamental principles of software development.
- Fundamental principles of mechanical design.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert