Senior Asset Engineer – Electrification and Plant
- Network Rail
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- £53,202 - £66,503
- Closing date
- 5 Mar 2023
- Design, Electrical, Maintenance & Service, Systems
- Rail, Transport
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Senior Asset Engineer – Electrification and Plant
Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain’s best employers and believe this starts with placing the people at the centre of everything we do!
Our ambition is to be adaptable to passengers and freight users, and we’re empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take ownership for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
Our Route Engineering E&P team assesses our asset management specifications and engineering competencies required to maintain, renew, and improve the railway network. By joining us you will be responsible for delivering the high-performance levels that the public relies upon.
About the Role
We’re looking for an electrical engineer to manage Anglia Route’s power systems operation, maintenance and renewal. On any given day, this could involve:
- Provide systems engineering input to the determination of appropriate engineering maintenance regimes and activity volumes in accordance with company policies, standards and specifications, providing necessary assistance to determine compliance with suitability and robustness of maintenance regimes.
- Provide engineering support service throughout the route and across delivery units as and when required.
- Provide technical briefings to engineers in delivery units in order that the purpose, as well as the content of standards, specification, etc. is understood.
- Review and make recommendations on derogation and non-compliance applications to engineering related standards.
- Review and monitor progression of potential improvements to systems from delivery units; provide feedback to the originators.
- Carry out asset condition inspections that will inform the asset condition database and the renewals work bank. Lead initiatives, as directed, to improve.
- Provide advice and guidance to the delivery unit and other asset engineers in the production of prioritised business focussed systems renewal proposals.
- Participate in, and lead as directed, engineering activities in support assurance processes including the maintenance audit programmes and engineering verification.
- Monitor the reliability and performance of system related assets across the route and instigate, lead and participate in the implementation of corrective actions to improve as required.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of route asset management plans.
- Participate in investigations of incidents as required.
- Contribute to the development of revised standards and policies.
- Assist in the review and acceptance process for engineering project designs as and when required.
You’ll be given many opportunities to develop your skills as an engineer and be mentored by a diverse, successful team to help you progress your career. You can be proud knowing the vital work you will complete will allow you to make a difference to the journey of thousands of people every single day.
You must have prior knowledge of the design/operation and maintenance of some or all of the following electrical power distribution systems:
- 25kV Traction Power Distribution ( Classic or AT )
- SCADA Systems
- 11kV Non-Traction Distribution
- LV including 650V IT for Signalling Power
If you can answer "yes" to these questions, we want you in our team.
- Are you an incorporated engineer with a dedication to safety?
- Will you be passionate about using your experience to find innovative ways to manage our assets?
- Can you comfortably assess our risks and devise solutions to multi-faceted problems?
Network Rail encourages applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and home life.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets and 75% off leisure travel.
We follow a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: Band 3C: £53,202 - £66,503. Closing date: 5th March 2023.
Network Rail has the fastest growing railway in Europe and there are more people travelling by rail today than at any point since the 1920s. In fact, there are now a million more trains running every year than there were just five years ago.
Britain relies on rail. We operate 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts, 17 major stations, 8,200 commercial properties and 2,500 stations leased to train operators. Every day Network Rail gets 3 million people to their destination and thousands of tonnes of goods moved around the country. Rail is a greener and safer mode of transport so it's no surprise that our railway has seen passenger numbers increase more than 40% in the past decade alone. These numbers are expected to double by 2034. That means we have to run more trains, more often and more efficiently. And we need even more talented people on board to efficiently meet that challenge.
Our future is equally bright. We're in the midst of the largest expansion of our network since the railway boom of the 19th Century. This is one of the most exciting periods in the history of the railway. And you could be right at the heart of it.
To keep up with our growing network, we need to ensure that we’re always looking for the best and brightest candidates to join us. If you’re ready to shine, ready to launch a career where you’ll see real impact on the UK’s rail industry, and ready to challenge yourself with the support of Network Rail, take a look at what our scheme can offer you.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert