Data Protection Solicitor
- Berkshire, Reading, England / London, England / Scotland, Glasgow
- £51600 - £77400 per annum
- Closing date
- 16 Feb 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow, Reading or London
Salary: £51,600 - £77,400 + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Data Protection and privacy continues to be a fast moving and business critical area of law. The role holder will be responsible for providing strategic and pragmatic advice across the company related to UK and EU data protection and privacy law, including leading on projects with a data protection impact. The role holder will deputise for the Group Data Protection Officer (GDPO) as required and give advice and support the other Data Protection Solicitors and Data Protection Specialists. The successful candidate will also be accountable for identifying, building and maintaining relationships between the DPO team, the Data Protection Specialists and key stakeholders to assist in taking forward Data Protection team objectives and ambitions.
In addition, the applicant will be required to:
- Provide advice and guidance to relevant stakeholders in relation to data protection and the requirements of the Data Protection Act and GDPR as well as maintaining expert knowledge of GDPR and data protection as it applies to SSE
- Support the Group Data Protection Officer in maintaining a data protection culture across the businesses and monitoring compliance with the internal protection control framework(s) including creating communications materials.
- Advise and negotiate data protection and privacy issues in relation to commercial and IT contracts including data processing and data sharing agreements where data is exported outside the EEA and UK.
- Supervise and advise on privacy assessments including transfer impact assessments and data protection impact assessments
- Support data incident response and data breach notification procedures and ensure compliance with relevant requirements as well as prepare and deliver training at all levels of the company and supporting SSE's data protection specialists.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, you should be a qualified solicitor and be able to demonstrate the following:
- Good knowledge of data privacy legislation in the UK and EU, including GDPR and the Data Protection Act.
- Experience of managing data incidents and breaches
- Experience of interacting with and building trusting relationships with key internal stakeholders, business partners and, if appropriate, Regulatory Authorities.
- Excellent communication skills, consistently providing a high level of service and a strong enthusiasm for communicating the impact and importance of data protection compliance throughout SSE.
- Willingness to learn about and apply data protection laws in other jurisdictions.
It would be helpful to have an interest in IT and technological issues including those around future digitisation.
About our Business
Our in-house SSE Legal function operates across the SSE Group to ensure business actions and behaviours are aligned to business priorities, are legally sound, and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, responsibility and ethical behaviour. We identify and rationalise legal risk, providing advice on both regulatory and statutory obligations, all whilst helping the business to achieve their strategic goals.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 341523.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert