- Havant, Hampshire, England
- £53681 - £62405 per annum
- Closing date
- 20 Feb 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Havant, Reading, Perth, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness.
Salary: £53,681 - £62,405 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
As Senior Developer, you'll analyse system requirements and design, test, code and modify very complex programmes and scripts to agreed company standards as well as undertaking technical leadership (high level business analysis and application design) and co-ordination of technical development within product lifecycle, and/or system maintenance tasks.
Key responsibilities for the role will include:
- Developing and maintaining solutions to support the business, as identified by the IT Business Partner, Project Managers and Business Analysts.
- Diagnosing and resolving problems with applications systems (both internal and third party) in the production environment.
- Coding programs according to industry standards and specifications.
- 'Development level' involvement throughout the full software development life cycle.
- Mentoring and training junior members of the team.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Strong Unix experience (preferably as a developer).
- Good knowledge of Unix Shell scripting (able to write, interpret existing scripts, and troubleshoot).
- Strong knowledge of Unix commands (for example, file manipulation, transfer, SFTP, etc).
- Strong Knowledge of Oracle database applications.
- Previous application support experience, legacy Oracle systems.
- Excellent problem solving skills with lots of enthusiasm and the ability to learn things quickly.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert