Onshore Renewables Head of Construction (UK&I)
- Perth, Perth & Kinross, Scotland / Northern Ireland, County Antrim, Belfast / Glasgow, Scotland
- Closing date
- 20 Feb 2023
- Civil & Structural
- Construction & Building Services
- Job Type
- Director & Senior Management
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow/Perth/Belfast/Dublin
Salary: £/€ Competitive depending on skills and experience + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Director of Development and Construction for UK Ireland, you'll be responsible for leading the successful construction and delivery of all new onshore wind and hydro projects in line with SSER's Net Zero Acceleration Plan (NZAP). This will encompass multiple onshore wind projects in construction at any time, with CAPEX budgets up to £500m, as well as supporting battery, solar, storage, hydro and PtX projects across the wider onshore business.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include;
- Managing and leading a team of Construction Project Managers (CPM's) and associated Assistant Project Managers, Contractors, Package Managers, SHE representatives and other specialist support functions, fostering a team culture where colleagues are supported, and lessons learned are shared to promote best practice.
- Owning the delivery of Business Cases and budgets through the construction phase of projects, ensuring the right decisions are being made to balance commercial value against construction and programme risk, ensuring they are reflected at Financial Close.
- Driving continuous improvement, digitisation, and lean processes where possible to strive for greater efficiency in the refinement and construction process.
- Promoting a positive safety culture, and leading by example to ensure that our core principle of 'if it's not safe, we don't do it' underpins all phases of the construction project.
- Defining and monitoring all quality management arrangements, engineering, design and project delivery activities are in line with the quality plan and employers' requirements.
- Ensuring project teams deliver in line with SSE's Governance and Assurance Processes.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive experience operating in a similar role, encompassing budget, programme, risk and quality management of large £multi-million capital projects.
- Proven ability in successfully managing and leading large construction delivery teams and setting clear objectives to increase organisational capability.
- A solid understanding of project management systems and governance arrangements for large capital projects.
- Significant knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and practices.
- Considerable involvement with Procurement & Commercial strategies for Power Generation projects, including tendering, negotiating and management of contracts.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert