HVDC Senior Simulation Engineer
- North Lanarkshire, Cumbernauld, Scotland
- £51600 - £77400 per annum
- Closing date
- 21 Feb 2023
- Civil & Structural, Control & Instrumentation, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
About the Role
Base Location: The National HVDC Centre, Cumbernauld
Salary: £51,600 - £77,400 + car /car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The National HVDC Centre is recruiting a Senior Simulation Engineer to join our high-profile team, working to ensure the security of the GB electricity network as we transition to a net zero network.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role will be:
- Managing a team of HVDC Simulation Engineers, providing oversight and technical coaching across the team (and providing technical quality assurance of the study outputs).
- Overseeing and undertaking simulation studies to investigate the operation of real schemes connecting to the GB network. This will predominantly be done using real-time simulation in conjunction with vendor-supplied hardware (and models).
- Become a recognised expert in one of the key subject areas of the HVDC Centre: Interoperability; Multi-Terminal Schemes; HVDC-AC Integration; Offshore Coordination; HVDC Control & Protection Interactions; HVDC Converter Modelling; Model conversion and validation; HVDC Innovation; HVDC Training; and Hardware Interfacing and Testing.
- Oversee and project manage the delivery of study projects for our stakeholders; drawing out the insights learnt from the study work, then communicate the results (in technical reports and presentations) to external stakeholders.
- Engage with industry groups (e.g., CIGRE) and innovation projects (e.g. SIF or European Horizon 2020 projects), to help shape the future of HVDC as we drive towards a net zero network.
What do I need?
We would love you to have:
- Experience in power system analysis, using power system analysis tools for steady-state, RMS and EMT studies; preferably real-time simulation including integration of physical equipment.
- Proven ability to manage teams, with technical training and coaching experience.
- Good technical knowledge of the transmission network, with technical understanding of core elements, ideally with a strong focus on HVDC and FACTS.
- Good knowledge of the electricity industry, including interfaces with the regulator, the Electricity System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Network Operators; with senior stakeholder management experience.
- Ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and ability to communicate complex technical subjects to different stakeholders.
About the Department
The National HVDC Centre (hvdccentre.com) is Great Britain's simulation and training facility for HVDC; supporting the integration and successful operation of all HVDC schemes connecting to the GB Electricity Network (including Offshore connections). The HVDC Centre, opened in April 2017 (in central Scotland), and is also the National hub for HVDC knowledge exchange, expertise and innovation. The Centre uses state-of-the-art simulators to model and resolve potential issues in real-time before they impact on the delivery (or operation) of HVDC projects, to ensure the integrity and security of the GB Network as we transition to a net zero network.
To learn more about HVDC at SSEN Transmission, please watch this short video: HVDC at SSEN Transmission
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more; view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact /01738 344 049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert