RACE - Functional Safety Group Leader
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, (UKAEA)
- UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
- £60,317 to £63,855 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
- Closing date
- 28 Mar 2023
- Design, Nuclear, Project Engineering, Safety, Systems
- Nuclear Industry, Power, Renewables
- Job Type
- Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems. RACE’s objective is to create an internationally recognised centre of technical leadership for Remote Applications in Challenging Environments, delivering complex solutions, developing new technologies and supporting UK industry.
As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values (Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative) that capture the spirit of how we work.
As our Functional Safety Group Leader, you will provide expert technical knowledge of Functional Safety principles to support the RACE portfolio in delivering Remote Handling System solutions and supporting Safety Case evidence where required. You'll need to bring leadership and technical expertise to collaborate with other UKAEA departments to define global Functional Safety Process for the Organisation.
What will you be responsible for?
- Provide expert technical knowledge of Functional Safety principles to support the RACE portfolio in delivering Remote Handling System solutions and supporting Safety Case evidence where required.
- Leading the delivery of Functional Safety Design for large complex robotics projects. This will require managing work package resource, budgets and schedules whilst also maintaining high quality.
- Responsible for the management and development of staff in the Electrical Systems Unit; including agreeing personnel development plans and areas of professional development, providing job performance feedback, setting objectives to support organisational goals.
- Maintains an overview of workloads and resource scheduling ensuring the engineers have the correct technical support for the project delivery.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Chartered Engineer or progressing towards chartership.
- Technology degree or equivalent experience.
- Substantial experience of designing and managing Safety Critical Systems for machinery, Industrial, Rail or Nuclear industries.
- Ability to work with project stakeholders to resolve technical conflicts and pro-active in problem solving.
- Ability to deliver highly complex engineering projects from requirements through to commissioning of the systems.
- Strong understanding of governance, H&S, and compliance issues.
- Proven ability to interact efficiently with people in a variety of different situations.
- Ability to manage people and develop skills to support the growth of the department and organisation.
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- TÜV functional safety certified - Functional Safety Professional (FSP).
- Experience using ISO 10218 Robots and robotic devices. Other Duties: Engineering - 6 Page #3.
- Maybe required to be part of the on-call systems for JET Remote Handling Operations.
- Maybe required to undertaken business travel within the UK and abroad.
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive Team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK Government website. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.
Do you want to help shape the future of the world's energy? If so, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy is the place to be and we can offer a range of career opportunities. These include scientific and engineering roles, as well as technical and administrative positions supporting our research programme.
We have professionally accredited training schemes for graduate engineers and apprentices, and strong links with universities around the UK for PhD placements, as well as job vacancies for various positions when they occur, working in a friendly international environment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert