Weapon System Equipment - Physical Architect / Requirement Authority
- £35,000 - £55,000 DOE
- Closing date
- 22 Mar 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Salary: £35,000 - £55,000, depending on experience + bonus + benefits
Hybrid working pattern:Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
MBDA is a large engineering organisation that takes a disciplined approach to product development. The role of the physical architect is to ensure the product development team has a clear set of requirements, understands the engineering trade-space, based on customer needs, and can apply judgment across a number of engineering areas to enable the cost-effective delivery of our Weapon System products. We have a number of projects, at the forefront of capability needs for our armed forces and throughout the development lifecycle, to suit individuals looking for their next challenge.
Weapon System Equipment plays a key role in the development and delivery of MBDA's products to our Customers. We operate across the full range of Operational Commands including Land, Naval, Airborne and, increasingly, Novel Capability domains ensuring MBDA's systems remain at the forefront of defence capability. We specialise in providing physical design coherency across Weapon Systems for all phases of the development cycle and ultimately responsible for the system elements that our end users interact with.
Our Mission is to:
- Deliver world-class Systems, Subsystems and Equipment to our Customers Armed Forces
- Contribute to MBDA's international Weapon System Equipment Strategy, bringing the UK perspective to bear and balancing the need for technology re-use with the need to exploit emerging technology trends
- Apply the Weapon system Equipment Strategy to all new programmes, as well as through-life enhancement upgrades.
If you have a practical mind and you are able to apply logic in challenging or complex situations, then this role is for you. The role of a physical architect is to work within the product delivery organisation to mature our products through the development cycle.
This is a varied role; sometimes you will be working with internal and external customers to develop the requirement set and other days you might be in the lab supporting the trials team ensuring the product is being tested thoroughly and accurately. Either way, you'll quickly see the results of your efforts in the realisation of a System or Subsystem that you can associate with your Engineering ability.
As a physical architect, you should be able to demonstrate your ability to:
- Define clear requirements and interface specifications
- Mature a product through the development lifecycle
- Capture the physical architecture in the form of design records
- Work as part of a multi-discipline team (e.g. Systems, mechanical, electrical, software etc...)
- Understand the benefits of re-use versus new development
- Deliver verification and validation strategies for the electrical, mechanical, software and transversal properties of a system or subsystem
- Work closely and capture the needs of transversal engineering partners (Safety, Cyber, HF, ILS, etc)
In addition, as your knowledge and experience grows, you may be expected to:
- Manage schedule, cost, quality and performance metrics for individual work packages
- Run peer and design reviews
- Limit technical risks through application of mitigation strategies
- Work on engineering projects across our multi-national defence organisation
- Contribute to our capability initiatives to look at the future technical direction across the department
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert