Operational Cyber Developer Location: Manchester
We have an existing community of technical specialists across our Gloucester and London locations and we are now looking to grow our new Manchester hub to the same level. We are looking for enthusiastic and eager individuals, who are excited by the prospect of helping to build our new Manchester Operational Cyber practice from the ground up.
We offer a friendly and inclusive culture with great opportunities to learn from experts and make use of a carefully curated training plan with some of the best trainers and conferences available. What you'll be doing
What we're looking for Essential:
- Understand various development methodologies, and how they fit in with different delivery approaches.
- Factor operational security requirements into system design, development and testing.
- Conduct, support and encourage constructive code reviews for peers.
- Adopt a pragmatic approach to changing customer requirements and priorities, reporting on the impact and suggesting appropriate aspects to de-scope.
- Embrace emerging technology and language trends, evaluating beneficial emerging tools and championing their adoption and rollout.
- Conduct software development in line with the business and industry best practices.
- Identify risks associated with software development tasks and mitigate and/or escalate as necessary.
- Plan appropriate testing approaches (eg physical/virtual/real-world) and justify them according to the different risk profiles.
- Model and perform analysis on problems and solutions
- Design, code and document software from a logical design.
- Overcome development obstacles to deliver quality code within time and budget constraints.
- Collaborate with team members to integrate developed code seamlessly into the solution.
- Implement continuous integration where appropriate.
- Define and write test scripts and unit, integration and system tests for developed software.
- Familiarity with of variety of development tools (IDEs, debuggers, source control).
- Principles of high-assurance development.
- Development techniques such as unit testing, mocking, continuous integration, and test-driven development.
- Understanding of how the specific customer domain affects the software under development.
- Awareness of IT security as a major issue for companies and governments.
- Intermediate/advanced understanding of how computers work (eg stack/heap distinction, compiled/interpreted languages).
- Proficient with at least 1 “solution” language (eg C++, Java, C#).
- Able to use and configure more than one major operating system (eg Windows, OSX, Linux, FreeBSD)
- Able to pick up new languages easily.
- Operational developers are expected to have a high degree of flexibility.
- Communicating technical concerns with a non-technical audience.
- Innovative problem solving
- Team working.
- Team leadership.
- Visual Studio
- Win32 API
- Mobile development
Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please click here. Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.