The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Applied Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking for experienced Software Engineers to join our team following continuous growth and success in our Defence and Space business.
Behind great solutions there are great people: our employees. We pride ourselves on being able to solve some of our customers’ most complex problems.
Our people are what differentiate us, they are ingenious, innovative and dedicated. We have a mix of generalists and specialists and recognise that this diversity contributes to our success. In general, we work in teams. We recognise the benefits of forming teams from a mix of disciplines, which allows us to come up with balanced, high quality solutions.
We work hard and often go the extra mile, but we recognise people’s efforts and that everyone has a life outside of work. We encourage people to speak up if they want to rotate to a new project in support of career development, or even just to face a new challenge.
Our breadth across the UK Government and Defence sectors provides diverse opportunities for our people to develop their careers in new areas of expertise or with new clients.
This role will require you to have or be willing to go through Security Clearance at DV level. What you will do for us
Primarily we want people who can code.
C# is at the heart of what we do - so you’ll have to know your way around this to hit the ground running, but you’ll work with a range of technologies.
We need people with various levels of experience at coding - from those reasonably early on their careers who need some support, to those of you who are at the very top of your game. If you already know Java and want to broaden your programming experience then we are happy to help you learn how to get the best out of C#.
Name dropping just some tech we use:
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- Designs, codes, tests, correct and documents large and/or complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result. Takes part in reviews of own work and leads reviews of colleagues' work
- Works closely with other teams in the lifecycle (e.g. build, operations, testing) to ensure that the delivery of software is coherent within the overall pipeline
- Produces or validates the schedule and effort estimate for each task they perform
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and will endeavour to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation.
- Continually increase personal understanding of the languages, frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements that underpin the Engineering disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, challenge, contribute or construct software specification and is capable of building software in line with the specifications
- Exploits appropriate software development methods, languages, libraries and techniques and applies these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures that all work is consistent with defined standards where standards exist and to withstand professional scrutiny in any case
- Ensures that high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently delivers quality code on time and within estimate.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Works as a member of a development team, collaborates with other team members and participates in technical discussions and conversations with customers.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.