Mission Systems Engineers
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)
- Dstl Portsdown West Fareham, Hampshire & Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury Wiltshire
- £25,052 - £47,007
- Closing date
- 30 Mar 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Electronics, Project Engineering, Systems
- Aerospace & Aviation, Computing & IT, Defence
- Job Type
- Graduate, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Air Mission Systems Engineers
Do you want to influence future UK Military Air Systems?
Do you want to work across a wide range of the most advanced military systems in the world, from F-35 to Typhoon, to our next generation combat aircraft, or new unmanned systems?
Could you help ensure our aircraft work effectively together and exploit cutting-edge sensor and weapon technologies, autonomous operations, synthetic environments, cyber and space technologies?
Do you want to access a wide variety of unique experiences and opportunities to support your professional development and broaden your outlook, from getting hands-on with real military kit, to investigating awesome technologies from around the world?
Are you mid-career or a graduate looking for a new and exciting challenge?
We are looking for team members who:
Ideally have a degree in Computing, Systems Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Aerospace/Avionics Engineering, or similar.
Alternatively, equivalent experience gained through industry, apprenticeship schemes or military service.
In these roles (subject to your level) you will:
- Contribute-to and technically lead a variety of systems engineering projects, ranging from research into low-level technology concepts, through to assessment and integration of new systems onto our current aircraft.
- Provide independent avionic system advice and assessment to support MoD and Government procurement decisions.
- Contribute to independent assessment of avionic system safety to ensure certification bodies and MOD stakeholders are supplied with the information required for robust evidence-based decisions.
In addition to your technical skills,
- you will be able to think systematically, logically, and creatively;
- you will have a natural desire to understand how things work and why they perform as they do;
- you will be able to communicate effectively;
- and you will be driven by a passion for science, engineering and technology coupled with the desire to ensure that the United Kingdom armed forces have the best information and equipment possible.
We have roles available at a range of experience levels:
• Engineer: You will have a relevant technical education (normally to degree-level) plus experience of working in engineering
• Senior Engineer: post-education experience in meaningful engineering roles
• Principal Engineer: extensive post-education experience including technical or project leadership.
For a Level 4 Air Mission Systems Engineer:
- You will have a relevant technical education (normally to degree-level) plus experience of working in engineering
In addition, as a Level 5 Senior Air Mission Systems Engineer:
- Experience designing or developing technology or systems and 5 years post-education experience in relevant engineering roles
In addition, as a Level 6 Principal Air Mission Systems Engineer:
- Significant post-education experience including technical or project leadership
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self and Others
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Defence Aerospace Domain Awareness
- Aircraft, Mission System components, Safety & Security, wider Defence Enterprise.
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: A generous annual leave allowance starting at 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Encouragement and support on charterships, accreditations and access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Paid memberships with 2 relevant bodies/institutions. Employees have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
Race, Faith and Culture Network
Parents and Carer Support Network
Alternative Working Network
Gender Equality Network
New Starters Network
Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science inside UK defence and security. A proven national asset, Dstl is an executive agency of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) providing world class expertise and delivering cutting-edge science and technology for the benefit of the nation and allies.
Who we are
Dstl is one of the principal government organisations dedicated to science and technology in the defence and security field.
Dstl supplies specialist services to MOD and wider government, working collaboratively with external partners in industry and academia worldwide, providing expert research, specialist advice and invaluable operational support.
We are innovative, collaborative and impactful.
Our responsibilities include:
- supplying sensitive and specialist science and technology services for MOD and wider government
- providing and facilitating expert advice, analysis and assurance on defence procurement
- leading on the MOD’s science and technology programme
- understanding risks and opportunities through horizon-scanning
- acting as a trusted interface between MOD, wider government, the private sector and academia to provide science and technology support to military operations by the UK and her allies
- championing and developing science and technology skills across MOD
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert