- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, (UKAEA)
- UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
- £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
- Closing date
- 6 Apr 2023
- Electrical, Materials, Project Engineering, Systems
- Industrial, Manufacturing, Nuclear Industry, Power
- Job Type
Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Department: Electrical Engineering
Salary: £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 5
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid. As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values (Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative) that capture the spirit of how we work.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking an experienced electrical engineer to successfully lead and manage complex packages of low-voltage electrical engineering work from concept through to completion. A great opportunity to be part of a collaborative team working on bespoke equipment, you will lead designs on implementing fusion supporting equipment. You will have previous experience in an electrical engineering role within an industrial hazardous or harsh environment as well as experience of preparing safety documentation required for hazardous electrical plant.
What will you be responsible for?
- Leading and managing electrical project work undertaken at the Materials Research Facility (MRF)
- The design, specification, procurement, installation, commissioning and maintenance of assigned electrical systems, ensuring compliance with current legislation and codes of practice
- Preparing safety documentation, including risk assessments and method statements, and use a formal permit system for work on complex, hazardous electrical plant
- Performing electrical engineering analysis and calculations to support associate work programmes
- Building and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders and professional networks
- Developing, mentoring and coaching junior engineers
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- A degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, and relevant professional experience in an Electrical engineering role working in an industrial hazardous or harsh environment. Or an HND in Electrical/Electronic discipline, or equivalent qualification level, with a greater breadth and depth of experience/knowledge
- Experience of preparing safety documentation including risk assessments, method statements and using a formal permit system for work on complex, hazardous electrical plant
- Proven capability in engineering analysis and a good working knowledge of engineering materials and their properties
- Good communication and influencing skills with the ability to work and communicate with an interdisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, technicians and external stakeholders
- Able to manage own time and workload to deliver against agreed targets
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Previous appointment as an Authorised Person (Electrical)
- Chartered Engineer status with a suitable professional institution
- Previous experience in supervising and developing staff
- Good working knowledge of PLC and SCADA systems
- Good understanding of EC&I documents (SLDs, P&IDs, C&Es, schematics etc.)
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK Government website. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.
Do you want to help shape the future of the world's energy? If so, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy is the place to be and we can offer a range of career opportunities. These include scientific and engineering roles, as well as technical and administrative positions supporting our research programme.
We have professionally accredited training schemes for graduate engineers and apprentices, and strong links with universities around the UK for PhD placements, as well as job vacancies for various positions when they occur, working in a friendly international environment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert