Contract Manager Opportunities - SSEN Distribution
- Berkshire, England, Reading / England, Oxfordshire / Havant, England, Hampshire
- Closing date
- 19 Mar 2023
- Civil & Structural
- Construction & Building Services
- Job Type
Base Location: Reading, West London, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire or East Sussex
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What are the opportunities?
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Due to business growth, we're looking for experienced Contract Managers or Quantity Surveyors across various levels of experience to join our SSEN Distribution Procurement and Commercial team.
This will encompass the commercial management of projects across all stages of the development process from inception of the project right through to hand over of completed projects to the Operation and Maintenance teams.
About the Role
The key role for the Contract Manager is to identify and implement value opportunities throughout the development cycle in order to achieve the lowest cost that will support project, programme and portfolio success. You'll have the opportunity to use your experience to support the project team on a wide range of procurement and commercial issues, to challenge yourself through transitioning the team to a best-in-class model and also play an important role in the drive for a net zero carbon future. More specifically:
- Complying with all safety policies and procedures, promote safety and safe working practices both internally and externally to improve safety performance
- Managing the procurement of essential work scopes, procuring at lowest cost of ownership and in accordance with the principle of efficiency and best value. This includes covering all commercial, business and legal project risks in contracts and negotiating terms and conditions within own area of responsibility to ensure ongoing value for money throughout the lifetime of the contract
- Supporting all post contract commercial matters including negotiating/agreeing compensation events and ensuring that the core principles of the Commercial Manual are being implemented whilst maintaining supplier relationships
- Building and supporting the development of relationships with main suppliers/contractors and liaise with points of contact on project(s) / contract(s)
- Delivering all project contracts within approved budget authorisations
What will you need?
We are looking for individuals who are degree qualified in Quantity Surveying or equivalent qualification and may either have, or be working towards, professional membership of a relevant technical or professional body, for example RICS.
We would also love you to have;
- Demonstrable experience of managing Procurement & Commercial function delivery on large projects (>£10m) including:
- Leading both pre/post contract commercial matters including estimating, sourcing, cost & budget management and contract administration to ensure that the core principles of the Commercial Manual are being implemented.
- Detailed understanding of commercial value drivers within large and complex business cases.
- Interpreting, administration, drafting and negotiation of NEC ECC contracts (option A and C) and practical means of performance incentivisation.
- Previous experience in an operational multifaceted business with an understanding of supply chain concepts and how to improve them.
- Sound commercial awareness, excellent communication skills and strong problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrable stakeholder engagement and managements skills are essential, as is the ability to influence, lead and resolve disputes and problem solve.
Having a background in Power Distribution isn't necessary, as we welcome applications from those with relevant transferable experience. It's more important to us that you share our values, bring unique experience and are eager to learn.
Whats in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 344763
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert