Procurement & Commercial Manager
- Berkshire, England, Reading
- £61100 - £91700 per annum + Car allowance & Performance related bonus
- Closing date
- 22 Mar 2023
- Business & Finance, Civil & Structural
- Construction & Building Services, Power
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Reading Preferred or Thames Valley / Wiltshire / Hampshire
Salary: £61,100 - £91,700 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Procurement and Commercial (P&C) Manager to join our Procurement and Commercial team supporting the SSEN Large Capital Delivery Directorate focussing on Connections Projects.
- You will support the Head of Procurement and Commercial and their teams providing a world class procurement and commercial service to internal customers, ensuring all aspects of delivery follow internal controls as established through the required Capital Projects Governance and Commercial Manuals.
- Manage a portfolio of Projects and lead on procurement activities such as the development of Project procurement strategies, managing the procurement process, negotiation of contract terms and conditions and price through to contract award whilst ensuring compliance with the Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016.
- Line management responsibilities ranging from Senior Contract Manager to Graduate level for a team responsible for multiple capital projects during the project lifecycle from inception to completion.
- Demonstrable stakeholder engagement and management skills are essential, as is the ability to influence, lead and resolve disputes and problem solve.
- Cost and forecast management via regular cost reporting and ensuring change management procedures are adhered to, Payment and expenditure management, Cost estimating.
- Provide robust post contract commercial management which will support the project goals and objectives including negotiating/agreeing compensation events and ensuring that the core principles of the Commercial Manual are being implemented.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- We are looking for a candidate who has experience and competence with standard construction industry conditions of contract which must include NEC.
- Can demonstrate experience and competency on all cost management issues including cost reporting, forecasting, accrual management, supply chain payment and resolution of disputes.
- Knowledge of relevant statutory and legal provisions and detailed knowledge of procurement and commercial policies and procedures.
- Has strong commercial acumen with well-developed interpersonal, problem-solving, communication and negotiation skills with demonstrable experience delivering large projects/programmes of work.
- Degree qualified in Quantity Surveying or equivalent qualification and have or be working towards professional membership of a relevant professional body such as RICS or CICES.
About our Business
At SSE, we own more than 500 property assets and several thousand land assets, which are located across the length and breadth of the UK and Ireland. Our Procurement & Commercial, Property and Facilities Management teams are responsible for helping the business to procure services and materials in a timely and cost-effective way, and for ensuring SSE offers a safe, modern, fit-for-purpose property portfolio. We work right across the SSE Group, ensuring our businesses gets the best possible service and value from our supplier network, as well as ensuring all service providers are compliant and continue to meet contractual obligations and business need.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Francesca on 01738 344763.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert