Contentious Construction Solicitor
- Berkshire, Reading, England
- Performance-related bonus
- Closing date
- 19 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Reading, Glasgow, or Perth
Salary: c£60,000 + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are recruiting a Contentious Construction Solicitor to join our legal team, providing strategic and commercially savvy advice to the SSE business in relation to contentious construction issues impacting on its growing portfolio of development projects.
You'll be responsible for:
- Reporting to the Project Dispute Lead and ultimately to the SSE Director of Dispute Resolution, working closely with the Dogger Bank Project team, in particular the procurement and commercial team.
- Assisting in the management of all contractual disputes on the project and providing strategic advice to stakeholders to ensure effective resolution of any disputes.
- Advising the project board and management at all stages of dispute, from early contractual correspondence and dispute avoidance to settlement options and formal dispute proceedings including arbitration, to ensure the best commercial outcome for the project and its shareholders.
- Assist where needed in the management of other construction disputes issues which may arise across SSE's businesses.
It's an exciting time to join SSE. The Dogger Bank Wind Farm is a development project owned by SSE, Equinor and Vårgønn. Comprising of three 1.2 GW projects (Dogger Bank A, B and C) it will be the world's largest offshore wind farm able to cover approximately 5% of the UK's estimated electricity generation. Each project will be delivered under a multi-contract strategy using experienced contractors with a proven track record in offshore wind. DBA is scheduled to reach First Power by Summer 2023, with DBB following in 2024 and DBC in 2025.
What do I need?
You'll have confidence in your approach to your work, legal skills and knowledge with a resilient attitude to challenging situations. You'll be comfortable in taking the lead in challenging situations and resolving conflict.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- English Qualified lawyer with circa 3-5 years PQE with experience of construction law matters with experience of all areas of dispute resolution.
- A comprehensive understanding of the legal and commercial issues that are pertinent to the off-shore construction business, the SSE Group and the Energy market. An understanding of offshore wind and project finance is also desirable.
- Comfortable working independently and within project teams and leading matters of high value and high risk.
- Familiar with use of industry standard contracts including the FIDIC, NEC and Logic suites of contracts, O&M agreements, design, supply, installation and vessel contracts.
- Proactive and practical approach to giving legal advice and support in a clear and concise manner.
About our Business
Our in-house SSE Legal function operates across the SSE Group to ensure business actions and behaviours are aligned to business priorities, are legally sound, and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, responsibility and ethical behaviour. We identify and rationalise legal risk, providing advice on both regulatory and statutory obligations, all whilst helping the business to achieve their strategic goals.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on 01738 351671.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert