About the Role
Base Location: Berkshire, West London, Oxfordshire, Wessex, Hampshire or Wiltshire
Salary: £47,872 - £55,653 + car/car allowance and a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are looking Lead Design Engineer to join our team!
The main responsibility of the Lead Design Engineer is to manage the portfolio of Wayleave terminations for the Network Engineering Design team and support all workstreams to deliver our ED2 commitments.
This role is responsible for delivering a program of work, producing KPIs and working closely with our land consents managers, the investment team and the CMI construction delivery team. The CMI Design Team are responsible reinterpreting the models produced by portfolio management and creating design solutions up to 33kV.
As a Lead Design Engineer, you will:
- Be responsible for ensuring the projects accepted into refinement are delivered on time and within budget.
- You will be required to produce quality design calculations, approve design deliverables, and ensure the most cost-effective design solutions are selected to meet the requirements of all stakeholders.
- You will also be required to provide engineering design inputs to ITTs and review tender returns.
- Highlight and follow through all quality issues the team have encountered or created, including anything causing delays or preventing delivering right first time, every time. Personally, resolving these issues or escalating if required
- Responsible for helping to continuously deliver safe outcomes for the workforce, customers and the environment. Leading by example to foster the positive SSEN culture and standards for Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) is a core requirement and expectation of the role.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Tertiary qualification minimum HNC, and be an expert in power system design up to 33kV, design governance including CDM
- A good understanding of contract, contractor and commercial management with significant experience of leading and motivating small teams in a target driven environment that delivers projects and programmes.
- The ability to perform calculations and drafting/approving drawings
- Project management skills - workloads, finance forecasting, key dates and project planning
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills
Regular travel across the regions is required and as a result we can only accept applications from candidates that hold a current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact
EXTERNAL: Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.