Junior Software Architect
- Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Graduate, Early Career, Engineer
Your next role
At L3Harris, in our Intelligence & Cyber International (ICI) division, we work closely with UK Government and Security Agencies to shape and build cutting-edge solutions that combat the ever-evolving threats faced by the public and private sectors on a daily basis.
We have created a brand new role for someone from a Software Engineering background to develop into something a little different. Our Junior Software Architect will be responsible for shaping the future software strategy am darchitecting the code base for our flagship Cyber Security product range.
Expectation is that this person is to spend 60% on primary tasks and 40% consulting/coding against a project task (monthly average).
What the role will involve
If you were to join our team of dedicated experts, the responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- This role has responsibility and accountability for the cyber security portfolio software codebase with regards to:
- Setting the technical direction for future development of the codebase, with regards to new technologies, components, tools and architecture in order to support on-going product development in the most efficient manner
- Managing incremental enhancements to extant codebases to improve efficiency, robustness and maintainability
- Day to day configuration management
- Collaborating with the Software Engineering Manager to set the technical direction for future development of the codebase, with regards to new technologies, components, tools and architecture in order to support on-going product development in the most efficient manner.
- Providing technical oversight and review of software development activities to ensure expedient product delivery
- Identify & drive productivity initiatives to improve overall software efficiency through deployment of modern languages and development methodologies
- Software architecture with the ability to provide direction and review of bid responses & engineering estimates
What you’ll bring:
- Experience working with embedded architectures, primarily with a real-time Linux operating system
- Experience in C++ with modern language extensions, primarily using object orientated methodologies
- Experience of DevOps and in particular continuous build environments
- Experience of working on multi-discipline product development projects
- A ‘can do’ attitude and be able to think outside the box to find a solution
- A genuine interest in the art of software development and the technology space we work in
- Excellent inter-personal skills and the ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
Additional Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the cyber security domain with a focus on the Defence industry
- Experience with Python and scripting languages
- Experience with Rust
At L3Harris, we value and appreciate everything our people do for us, and offer an attractive package. A few of our benefits are
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible
- 3.5 hour day on Fridays – finish before 12pm!
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Training and development opportunities and support with qualifications where relevant
- Mental health and wellbeing schemes
Important to know
Many of our roles require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and may be subject to government security checks.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defence technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defence and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
For over 100 years in the UK, L3Harris has demonstrated world-class engineering, manufacturing, research and development pedigree in working with the UK government and industry partners to solve complex problems and defend against evolving threats.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert