Enabling Technology Lead (hybrid)
- Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Design, Electronics, Project Engineering, Scientific, Research and Development
- Communications, Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Your next role
At L3Harris, in our Intelligence & Cyber International (ICI) division, we work closely with UK Government and Security Agencies to shape and build cutting-edge solutions that combat the ever-evolving threats faced by the public and private sectors on a daily basis. We have a unique opportunity for an experienced technical leader to work on cutting edge enabling technology projects in Electronic Warfare and Cyber domains.
Reporting to the Enabling Technology Manager, the role of our Enabling Technology Lead is to lead research and development projects carried out by mixed teams of highly skilled data scientists and engineers. The projects will be typically in the areas of communications, RF, DSP or machine learning, but may include a wide range of related technical disciplines. This role provides is an opportunity for candidate with vision, enthusiasm and a broad technical background to influence the technical direction at L3Harris by bringing their unique portfolio of skills and knowledge to the team.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced Engineer or Scientist, qualified as a specialist in their technical discipline, but who may have been exposed to a wide range of different technologies through their work. The candidate must be comfortable working on low TRL research projects, and enjoy the challenge of working on new and emerging technologies. AI and Machine Learning play an increasing role in our research portfolio, and so it would be a distinct advantage if the successful candidate also had experience or an interest in AI technologies. Some experience working on defence research projects would also be an advantage.
In return L3Harris offers the opportunity to learn new data science stacks, programming languages, technologies, methodologies and standards. You will receive dedicated and mentored on-the-job training and experience of cross-domain working to develop your skills across different areas of the business.
The role is based in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire with opportunities for flexible hybrid working.
What you’ll bring
- Experienced senior level engineer or scientist, degree qualified in Electronics, Communications, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Mathematics or similar.
- Experience leading and delivering R&D projects
- Experience leading teams or an aptitude to lead and influence others
- An enthusiasm for working with new emerging technologies, sometimes outside of their immediate skill set, to solve a wide range of challenges using creative and innovative solutions.
- The ability to independently perform research and exploratory tasks using publicly available software and information sources.
Desirable Skills and Experience;
Specialist knowledge and experience in anyone or more of the following areas:
- Communications and communication protocols
- RF design, analysis or modeling
- DSP design or modelling
- Machine Learning, including using frameworks such as TensorFlow, Pytorch, Keras…
- Python, Matlab or C.
- Experience bidding and working on defence research projects
- Published research papers or patents
At L3Harris, we value and appreciate everything our people do for us, and offer an attractive package. A few of our benefits are:
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible
- 3.5 hour day on Fridays – finish before 12pm!
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Training and development opportunities and support with qualifications where relevant
- Mental health and wellbeing schemes
Important to know
Many of our roles require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and may be subject to government security checks.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defence technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defence and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
For over 100 years in the UK, L3Harris has demonstrated world-class engineering, manufacturing, research and development pedigree in working with the UK government and industry partners to solve complex problems and defend against evolving threats.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert