BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments. BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Graduate Experience Design (UX) Consultant Start date:
June 2023 Base location:
Here at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we are committed to helping governments, organisations and society navigate digital threats and opportunities. Whether it’s leveraging data to digitally transform operations or securing organisations and nations from cyber threats, we combine our unrivalled security and engineering heritage to help our clients navigate the data-reliant digital landscape.
As the cyber and intelligence arm of BAE Systems, we employ over 4,800 people across 15 countries in North America, APAC, Europe and the Middle East. With our distinguished heritage, we relish the opportunity to transform digital and data practices, defence, intelligence, security and society for government agencies, law enforcement, financial services, and critical infrastructure.
The graduate programme is designed to give you ownership of your career aspirations, supported by training and practical experience to help you succeed. You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be assigned a Career Manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career. Role Profile
With a strong understanding of best practices and methodologies, Experience Design Consultants are the primary end-user advocates who produce online experiences that engage even the most discerning audiences. They are research, data and design enthusiasts who create engaging and useful digital products and services to serve a wide variety of online experiences.
The role of an Experience Design Consultant (XD) is broad in that they can operate across several key phases of our User Centred Design (UCD) methodology from Discovery, Define and Design to Implementation, Test and Deploy. They conduct research, persona creation, needs analysis, site maps, wireframes and prototypes. They are also responsible for creating visually engaging and innovative products, bringing concepts to life by eliciting human response to visuals of all kind. They know the power of imagery, motion, interactivity and design. As a Graduate Experience Design (UX) Consultant , responsibilities might include:
What are we looking for?
- Conduct user research and requirements gathering, task and concept modelling, information architecture and UX design, and concept/usability testing.
- Design interactions using an iterative process, based on evidence from deep customer insight, and gathered through interviews, studies, analytics, usability testing and more.
- Create user experience specifications, personas, user journeys, wireframes, design patterns, interactive prototypes and information architecture assets such as site maps, screen flows and navigation models that demonstrate empathy with users.
- Work collaboratively with strategy, business analyst, visual design and technical development teams.
- Be an advocate for a user-centred design methodology, contributing to cross-functional teams including software architects, account managers and other designers.
- Communicate design rationale, project progress and proactively contribute to ongoing improvements and enhancements of our methodologies.
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Good understanding of UX and UI design principles and methodologies
- Awareness of Agile development and Lean UX
- An understanding of responsive digital design for a range of devices (including mobile and desktop)
- Basic understanding of accessibility compliance and best practice
- Proficiency in relevant design and prototyping software packages such as Sketch, Figma and the Adobe Create Suite
- Awareness of Atomic Design and Design Systems
- Good general understanding of web technologies
- Basic understanding of web analytics
- You will need to have obtained or be studying towards a 2:2 or above
- You will need to have graduated within the last 3 years
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/united-kingdom-security-vetting
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
What’s in it for you?
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
• Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
• Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
• You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
• You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
• £34,000 starting salary
• £2,000 welcome payment What’s next?
• CV submission & review
• Digital assessment
• Live Interview Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.