About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however, need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSEN offices or depots around Scotland.
Salary: Competitive Salary + Car /Car allowance + Performance-Related Bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As a Protection and Control Principal Engineer working in the SSEN Transmission Policy & Standards team, you will:
- Write, review and maintain technical specifications required for all protection and control designs and equipment used on the SSEN Transmission network. Updates will be based upon stakeholder engagement and technology advancement where you will use your excellent communication skills to technically and economically justify the changes made.
- As a Technical Authority and working in conjunction with the Protection & Control Technical Assurance engineer, ensure that all IED types are safe, adequately tested, configured and validated prior to approval for use on the network.
- Assist the Design Authority to verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required to ensure the network is adequately protected in accordance with legislation, Grid Code and specifications.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events, standardisation working groups and subject matter conferences to identify technology or opportunities for innovation.
- Provide technical consultancy services across the SSEN Transmission business, encouraging the development of staff and have a willingness to share your specialist expert knowledge.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant engineering discipline and you should be a Chartered Engineer with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience in development, design and specification of transmission level protection and control systems, preferably including the use of IEC61850. Be comfortable to technically assess issues and critically assess a range of proposed technical solutions.
- Knowledge and understanding of a range of Protection & Control related International Standards and an understanding of the technical requirements for design, planning, operation and development of the transmission network. Knowledge of relevant legislation would be beneficial.
- Excellent communication skills allowing you to communicate at all levels on a range of technical subjects. This includes the ability to form structured and reasoned justification in your guidance and support to others, along with the ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications.
- The ability to prioritise your workload in an organised and methodical manner in order to meet targets and deadlines.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.