Senior Warhead Systems Engineers
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- England, Berkshire / England, Basingstoke, Hampshire
- £42650 - £65000 per annum
- Closing date
- 28 Mar 2023
- Control & Instrumentation, Design, Electro-Mechanical, Mechanical, Systems
- Aerospace & Aviation, Consultancy, Defence, Nuclear Industry, Power
- Job Type
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
Are you looking to apply your working knowledge of engineering, science and systems thinking to support unique and essential projects for the UK's nuclear deterrent?
If so, this could be your next role!
Senior Warhead Systems Engineers (Office based)
The Warhead Engineering team at AWE are looking for a motivated and experienced individual to lead and conduct systems engineering activities to support future weapon system development. The role has a focus on technical product security and involves the analysis and assessment of threats to the product across the warhead lifecycle and, the development of the product security sub-system to provide mitigation. Although not a purist systems engineer role, the role requires the mindset of a systems thinker and the application of systems engineering methods, approaches, tools and techniques. The role is within a specialist area so opportunities for relevant training and development will be provided.
Location: Reading / Basingstoke Area (role is office based)
Salary: £42,650 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing date: 29th March 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
You will be responsible for:
- Leading stakeholder engagement activities to collaborate with other areas of the business, the customer, government agencies (international and domestic) and regulators to support multiple Warhead Engineering projects
- Developing and using tools and techniques to conduct domain specific analysis and assessments from system to component level
- Applying Subject Matter Expertise to help influence the system design and solution, working alongside multiple engineering and scientific disciplines
- Influencing, capturing and translating stakeholder vision into system and sub-system requirements
- Developing Concept of Operations and system architectures (functional and physical)
- Generating and managing Validation & Verification evidence
- Producing high quality technical reports, presentations and project artefacts as required by company Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) process and project delivery
- Developing your own expertise in the area and where appropriate, providing support and mentoring to less experienced engineers
The role requires someone with:
- Strong communication and exceptional soft skills to work with people and teams to both discover and share key information
- Ability to define approaches to progress from the uncertain early stages of a development and drive through to definition of solutions
- Innovative systems thinking approach
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to embrace the variety of activities which are part of the role
- Ability to manage and deliver objectives on time to high quality
To be considered for the role candidates will ideally have an HNC/HND or degree qualification in a science or engineering discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
Occasional travel to the US for partnering opportunities may be required.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert