Infrastructure Engineer - Linux and Automation
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Closing date
- 14 Apr 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
This role is part of our outstanding, highly skilled Engineering Operations team, which supports our 1,000+ developers and their enabling infrastructure. The team supports a global workforce with key locations in Guildford, London, Gloucester, Leeds, Poland and Kuala Lumpur and supports a mix of Windows, Linux and MacOS technologies. We primarily follow an Infrastructure-as-Code deployment model and Agile delivery processes, for both operational management and new capability delivery.
The successful candidate will join the Engineering Operations team, which is spread across the UK, Malaysia, Poland, Singapore, USA and Australia. You will have responsibility for delivering new enabling capabilities, developing and delivering templated systems, resolving infrastructure support issues and maintaining, managing and optimising the overall performance and availability of the infrastructure. Our customers are our internal engineering and product teams and we will work to bridge the gap between infrastructure and software development and drive efficiency through high levels of automation. Whilst technology-delivery is core to our role, so too is the appreciation of how we enable the business to service their customers.
This position is offered on a permanent basis based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia however the role may be home based with travel to the office around two days per week in line with our hybrid ways of working. There will be periods where more frequent visits to the office are required and occasional out of hours support may also be required.
- Complete routine operations schedules for servers, server applications, databases, systems and network elements using established and repeatable procedures following corporate standards and requirements
- Infrastructure Support across VMWare, Linux, Macs
- Scripting and Automation
- Installation and support of infrastructure hardware and software
- Identify underlying problems discovered during day-to-day operations and managing them to resolution within Service Level Agreements
- Leading or supporting transformation projects to deliver new services
- Technical input into infrastructure changes following change management processes
- Liaise with other support teams and third parties to ensure that incidents are escalated and resolved within Service Level Agreements
- Working at all data classification levels, a sound understanding of security processes and policies is required
- At least 3 years of experience of install, administration and support of VMware vSphere Infrastructure, mostly 6.5/6.7 or later
- Install, configure & support Linux - preferably Redhat/Alma
- Install and configuration of HP & Dell hardware;
- Automation skills using Powershell, Terraform and Ansible are a must
- Linux certification
- Administration of AWS / Azure
- MacOS Support Essentials or ACSP
- Degree or relevant experience in a busy IT department
- Good understanding security hardening and CIS Hardening techniques and best practices.
- Good understanding of networking
- Very strong attention to detail
- Excellent analytical & problem solving skills
- Positive attitude
- Ability to cope with occasional pressure
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in an international environment
- Flexible approach to work with the ability to pro-actively take the initiative and work independently with little supervision, and also to be part of a collaborative team where ideas & skills are shared
- Ability to assess the impact of making changes on existing environments
- Professional / flexible individual that can adapt quickly to changing requirements or priorities and where necessary divert to assist other teams/projects
- See the bigger picture - outcome focused
- Able to bring your true-self to work and have fun whilst working
- Able to take the lead on issues or projects whilst working as part of the team
- Analytical skills
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Taking initiative.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert