Principal Engineer HVDC Cables
- Perth & Kinross, Perth, Scotland
- Bonus & Car Allowance
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Civil & Structural, Control & Instrumentation, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
Base Location: Flexible Scotland | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSEN offices or depots around Scotland. Base Locations: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth
Salary: based on experience + performance-related bonus + cash/car allowance + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As the Principal Engineer - HVDC Cables, you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications and guidance notes required for all HVDC cables used on the Transmission network, review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority, review test plans to ensure that all technology and equipment selected is adequately tested, proven and validated and review proposed suppliers and their factories to confirm their suitability to be approved for use on the transmission network.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority, provide specialist input where required, verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the transmission business for new HVDC cables, cable replacements and cable repair.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events such as ENA, IEC or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience on an expert level in the design, specification and testing of transmission voltage HVDC cables.
- The ability and experience to technically assess issues, problems and/or faults related to HVDC cables alongside an in depth understanding of the technical requirements for design, installation, operation and maintenance of HVDC cables as well as experience in HVDC cable testing.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of National Grid, British and European Cable Standards alongside the capability and experience in writing technical specifications, guidance notes and work instructions for HVDC cables, cable laying and installation (land and/or subsea).
- Experience in manufacturing of HVDC cables would also be advantageous.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona 01738 544546.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert