Senior Financial Accountant
- Scotland, Glasgow
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Business & Finance
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow / Perth (hybrid model with a blend of office and home working)
Salary: £44,100 - £50,000 dependent on experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
As Senior Financial Accountant for Distribution reporting to the Financial Control & Reporting Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Ownership of statutory accounts for Distribution companies, liaising with Group Finance and external auditors to ensure all reporting and audit requirements are met.
- Provision of technical accounting support for Distribution Finance, assessing and documenting impacts to the Distribution business.
- Support to period end close and Management Reporting, ensuring deadlines are met and outputs are delivered to a consistently high standard.
- Preparation and review of Balance Sheet Reconciliations, ensuring control requirements are met.
- Lead External and Internal Audit activities, providing information as requested in a timely manner and escalating issues as appropriate.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to:
- Be proficient in MS Office Applications with an advanced knowledge of Excel and be highly numerate with strong analytical skills as well as knowledge of core financial systems (Oracle desirable) and general accounting procedures.
- Be confident and articulate with the willingness to challenge and support colleagues and the business in a constructive manner.
- Have an appropriate accounting qualification (ICAS or ACCA) in an equivalent role.
- Technically strong with knowledge of IFRS / FRS101 and 102 / Companies Acts.
- Statutory accounting, financial controls and process experience.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Francesca on 01738 344763.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert