Machine Learning Scientist
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- Berkshire, England, Reading
- £31000 - £33000 per annum
- Closing date
- 5 Apr 2023
- Nuclear, Scientific, Systems
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Early Career
Would you like to use your experience in data, machine learning and AI to support the UK National deterrent? Do you enjoy designing and developing image-recognition models? If so, this could be your next role! AWE is looking to appoint a Data Scientist for Machine Learning and AI image recognition.
Machine Learning Scientist
Location: Reading area
Package: £31,000 - £33,000 (dependant on suitability and level of experience)
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
As a Machine Learning Scientist, you will contribute to AWE's capability to build insights and information from our wealth of diverse datasets. This role comes with a host of benefits as well as great opportunities for career and professional development.
The difference you'll make in this role:
- Contributing solutions to real-life scientific, engineering and business challenges across AWE; producing real-life improvements to timescales, safety and quality
- Implementing, developing, testing and validating Machine Learning models for image and data processing
- Contributing to the digital future of AWE by applying Image Segmentation, Object Detection, Video/Temporal Machine Learning Techniques to large scale datasets.
- Participate in all phases of the data science lifecycle from Proof of Concept to fully tested products/solutions
- Develop deep understanding of the nuclear defence sector and the opportunities for transformation
The Key skills & experience you'll bring:
- Degree in a STEM or IT discipline, equivalent NQF level 6 qualification or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of data collection and visualisation tools
- Knowledge of Image Segmentation, Object Detection, Video/Temporal Machine Learning Techniques
- Ability to develop code in languages like Python, with experience using packages like Tensorflow, PyTorch and OpenCV
- Ability to integrate and work well in a multi-disciplinary team
It would also be advantageous for you to have any of:
- Structured approach to problem solving
- Ability to convey complex and highly technical issues to diverse audiences
- Understanding of big data tools
- Experience of working in MS and Unix/Linux environment
- Ability to develop code (such as machine learning and AI models) in appropriate software
- Knowledge of machine learning model types and effective processes
- Understanding of parallel programming concepts
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle
We will consider applications from individuals at different stages of their career - recent Graduates or a qualified Scientist with industry experience. Previous experience of Data Science would be an advantage but is not essential.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert