Senior Grid Engineer
- Scotland, Glasgow
- Car allowance & Performance related bonus
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
- Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13 GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50 TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK & Ireland, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: UK up to £77,400 or ROI up to €108,600 depending on skills and experience + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Working within the onshore Grid team, this role will see you managing Grid related issues and opportunities for SSE Renewables portfolio of onshore development projects and operational assets, helping to integrate ever higher volumes of renewable energy into the grid. This will encompass onshore wind and hydro generation within GB, Ireland and beyond, as well as the development and operation of other technologies including battery energy storage systems and green hydrogen production.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the grid connection process across a portfolio of projects including the preparation and submission of Grid connection applications, review of resulting connection offers and continued management of the connection agreements.
- Working closely with and providing technical guidance to Development and Construction teams and managing the interface and relationship with the network companies to drive the delivery of grid connections in the timescales required.
- Interpreting Grid Code requirements and achieving and maintaining Grid Code compliance, including Grid Code testing and performance monitoring.
- Undertaking Grid feasibility assessments and due diligence of Grid contracts in support of project acquisitions.
- Assisting and mentoring more junior members of the team.
What do I need?
As well as excellent knowledge of the grid connection process, to succeed in this role you'll need a genuine passion for the energy industry coupled with a dynamic and proactive approach.
We would also love you to have:
- A relevant Engineering Degree/Masters qualification or equivalent experience.
- Strong technical knowledge of electricity transmission systems, their operation and current/future challenges.
- Ability to interpret and communicate requirements of relevant engineering legislation, codes and standards such as the GB Grid Code, the CUSC and the EirGrid Grid Code.
- Strong commercial awareness, with an understanding of the implications of engineering activities and decisions.
- Effective organisation capabilities with the ability to deliver quality work to the agreed timescales.
Although flexible on base location, you will be required to travel as and when is required by the work being undertaken, sometimes to remote locations. A full driving licence is essential.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert