Field unit engineer (132kv)
- Berkshire, Reading, England / England, West London, London / Slough, England, Berkshire
- £47000 - £55000 per annum + pension
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
- Civil & Structural, Control & Instrumentation, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
Base Location: Reading, Slough or West London (Thames Valley)
Salary: £47,872 - £55,653 + car /car allowance + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are looking for an enthusiastic and diligent engineer to join the SSEN Maintenance and Inspection team in Wessex working across the Southern Distribution Network.
As a 132kV field unit engineer you will work with a passionate team of like-minded engineers across a range of projects from 33kV to 132kV. You will be involved in protection testing and outages on the 33kV and/or 132kv network to assist with the maintenance program. You will also be liaising with the National Grid along with multiple stakeholders across the business to ensure a compliant, cost-effective design is delivered on time.
In addition, you'll have the opportunity to be involved in projects focused on innovation, standardisation, technology assessment as well as working with our suppliers on new products and services.
This is a fantastic time to join a growing team as we look forward to RIIO ED2, the challenges posed by moving to Net Zero as well as the opportunities offered by new technology, communications and services.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Developing scoping documentation and Protection Diagrams (MC&P).
- Carrying out EHV protection testing in conjunction with the maintenance teams.
- To act as a lead for support when requested to assist with the maintenance units delivery.
- Carrying out adhoc projects in line with our RIIO-ED2 delivery.
- Using SAP authorisations to support the regional requirements / CMI department.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A high regard for safety with demonstrable experience of risk mitigation.
- Ideally authorisations relating to 132kV SAP or working towards. An increase in range/salary will be applied to specific 132kV authorisations.
- Previous experience working in design or commissioning of power system protection, ideally at a distribution level.
- Knowledge and experience of protection relays and relay panels, CT & VT sizing calculations, protection grading studies and the producing of detailed and accurate AC/DC drawings.
- Knowledge of UK electrical practices and standards and an understanding/appreciation of CDM regulations.
Travel is required and as a result we can only accept applications from candidates that hold a valid/current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Kim on / 01738 344051.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert