Senior Data Engineer
- Reading, England, Berkshire / England, Havant, Hampshire / Perth, Scotland, Perth & Kinross
- £37600 - £56400 per annum + Performance related bonus
- Closing date
- 30 Mar 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Reading, Havant, Perth or Dublin
Salary: £37,600 - £56,400 / €54,900 - €82,200 + performance related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
As Senior Data Engineer your role is to build, optimise and maintain ETL, data applications, systems and services that comply with technical design and security guidelines and guardrails.
You'll provide leadership and accountability for ensuring the ongoing maintenance and developed service improvements to our core applications as well as analysing system requirements and designing, testing, modelling and modifying data pipelines and scripts to agreed company standards. Collaborating with product teams to deliver business outcomes in agile, DevOps environment is key to this role.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Understanding of the full software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Experience with designing, building, and operating analytics solutions using Azure cloud technologies with extensive experience in Cloud migration methodologies and processes including tools like Azure Data Factory, Event Hub, etc.
- Working knowledge of Synapse and ETL technologies.
- Solid experience of relational databases and data storage technologies such as: SQL Server, Oracle, MongoDB, MySQL, NoSQL, Data Warehousing and Databricks.
- Fully conversant with Agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts as applied to data driven analytics projects including CI/CD Coding, security testing best practice and standards.
- Proven knowledge of report building with Power BI skill.
- Experience of Python (including Pandas, Numpy, PySpark, Jupyter, etc) IT.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Microsoft Azure certifications are a plus.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert