SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 depending upon experience + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Key to our growth ambition, SSE Renewables have an exciting opportunity within our Renewables Engineering Offshore Team for a Civil Engineer to play a key role and support our engineering activities across our UK & International offshore wind development project portfolio.
This role will support the SSE Renewables Offshore business by taking responsibility for the Civil Engineering activities associated with the onshore transmission infrastructure serving offshore wind farms. You will also act as a focal point for the Design Authority process to achieve appropriate standards, legislation and project objectives, whilst also ensuring value engineering and innovation are incorporated in the design of Offshore Wind Farms. Some of the key responsibilities would be as follows:
- Onshore Cable Route Identification and Assessments.
- Scoping and Managing Onshore Investigations to inform Civil Engineering Design solutions.
- Substation Civils Design including, earthworks, building foundations, drainage, roads and reinforced concrete elements.
- Technical Support to Consents and Land processes to deliver the onshore transmission infrastructure for offshore wind farms.
- Supervision of Construction works to ensure quality standards are met and compliance with specifications.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role. We would love you to have:
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or very close to becoming qualified with an appropriate professional organisation.
- Demonstrable technical knowledge and experience of onshore infrastructure associated with offshore wind developments such as transmission cables and substations or other large scale infrastructure projects.
- Experience in managing 3rd party consultants for specific areas of design.
- Understanding of the interfaces and technical risk between the key design engineering disciplines and the impacts of decisions on land-take, consents and the environment.
- You will display excellent communication, flexibility and interpersonal skills with ability to travel within the UK and Internationally as and when required by projects.
- Experience and knowledge of scoping and supervising intrusive ground investigations in addition to interpretative reporting would be beneficial.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on 01738 275199.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.