Principal Engineer - Project Engineering - Cables
- Glasgow, Scotland / Inverness, Scotland, Highlands / Scotland, Perth, Perth & Kinross
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
- Project Engineering
- Job Type
- Engineering Manager
About the Role
Base Location: Perth, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness or UK Wide
Salary: £Competitive + car/allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Our new Cable Principal Engineer role in Project Engineering has been introduced as part of an increased focus in engineering excellence, innovation and technical development of our growing team and business. Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinating and leading improvements in process, innovations, training and technologies that will enable more efficient delivery of engineering work within the discipline.
- Provide technical expertise and support to guide Seniors and Project Engineers on complex or high priority issues within Projects or strategic planning of our growing network.
- Drive the management of any strategic technical risks with policy, supply chain, performance issues to ensure that the growth in project work is managed. This includes representing SSEN Transmission at industry events such as ENA and Cigre and attend conferences to identify technology or opportunities which can be used by Transmission.
- Collaborate with key Technical Stakeholders, such as System Planning, Policy and Standards and Asset Management. To verify project proposals meet the needs of the business and identify any scope changes that assist in the delivery of projects, do not put the network at risk and are effectively and efficiently managed.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Knowledge and understanding of SHE Transmission's Licence Obligations and Industry Codes/Standards for the design of the transmission network and connections to the network with a specific focus on the Cable Discipline.
- Chartered Engineer accreditation with a relevant institution or a clear plan for working towards this.
- Demonstrable experience in development, design and specification of transmission cable specific systems. Be comfortable to technically assess issues and critically assess a range of proposed technical solutions.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of legislation, British and International Standards and an understanding of the technical requirements for design, planning, operation and development of the transmission network.
- Strong presentational, oral and written communication skills. Ability to form clear, structured arguments and reasoned justification to influence, direct and guide at all levels.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Stephanie on or 01738 342963.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert