System Design Maturity Domain Lead
- up to £55,000 depending on experience
- Closing date
- 16 Apr 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.
Salary: Up to £55,000 (depending on experience)
What we can offer:
- Bonus of up to circa £2,000
- Pension contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Hybrid working pattern:Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working. This role offers a mix of office and home working.
This role will offer the right candidate an opportunity to develop a new network, internal and external to MBDA as well as internationally, gain experience of Agile principles and supporting frameworks, and the ability to further develop leadership and management skills.
As part of the Weapon System Readiness team, you will manage the Systems Design Maturity activities.
- Lead the Design Maturity Domain for the Project
- Includes proactively pursuing progress on various aspects of the design within MBDA, understanding areas where the design is immature and generating roadmaps for technology maturation.
- Work with Customer Authorities ensuring that project needs are being satisfied by the Customer level work being undertaken and, where there are gaps, these are being handled effectively through assumptions and risks etc.
- Design Maturity Governance.
- Update the Design Maturity Plan, ensuring it reflects the current thinking and policies.
- Ensure that the processes and criteria associated with each Design Maturity metric are kept up-to-date and that they satisfy the overall Project and Customer needs for Design Maturity. This involves regular engagement with MoD Customer stakeholders to ensure the metrics and information produced will be sufficient to satisfy their internal Stakeholders and reviewers.
- Update and Maintain Readiness Level Assessments, namely SRL, TRL, IRL, MRL assessments working with a broad range of stakeholders across multiple teams in systems, design, integration and manufacturing, as well as the Customers and Suppliers.
- Conduct and capture periodic Class of Difficulty (CDA) assessments based on key project technical risks.
- Produce and deliver Design Maturity Reports, both internally and as contractual Customer deliverables.
- Manage the use of Design Maturity metrics within the two-stage design cycle Transformation stream to identify key focus areas for the Project and, ultimately, to drive the overall Project Maturity forwards proactively (rather than just a measurement).
- This includes the organisation and running of regular project Maturity reviews or equivalent (candidate to own and scope whatever they feel is most appropriate).
- Hold drumbeat Design Maturity sessions to drive progress and work with TEx community to ensure any standard process is fostered back into company policies and processes.
- People management of team members (1-2 people+)
- Reporting on progress, future work and impediments at regular team meetings.
What we're looking from you!
- Someone who can work closely with MOD and DGA Customers to plan, monitor and facilitate the output of key maturity inputs.
- Basic understanding of Design Maturity process and its purpose
- Basic experience of Readiness Levels Assessments (SRLs/TRLs mainly)
- Experience of military Systems Design development.
- Proficient in the use of Excel, DOORS
- Logical, organised and able to communicate with a broad range of stakeholders
- Someone who has conducted maturity metric assessments on a complex military programme
- Management experience of small team (1-2 people+).
- Experience of ARM (risks) and able to interpret Rhapsody diagrams beneficial
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert