Sustainability Manager - Marine Biodiversity Lead
- Scotland, Glasgow
- £44100 - £66100 per annum + Performance related bonus
- Closing date
- 26 Mar 2023
- Business & Finance
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites; Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading or Havant.
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSER's commitment is to be positive for the planet: to generate renewable energy in a way that values the natural world and safeguards it for decades to come through decarbonisation. You can read about our approach to sustainability at SSER here.
A newly created role within SSER's growing Sustainability Team, the Sustainability Manager - Marine Biodiversity Lead, will play a key role in delivering this ambition during a critical decade for the renewables sector. You'll report directly into SSER's Head of Sustainability, and work closely with colleagues in SSER's Offshore Environment Team, Consents Team, Bid Team, Development Team, Construction Team and Operations Team to create value across the business through developing industry leading environmental credentials and sustainability performance
Some of your main accountabilities will include;
- Working collaboratively with internal and external partners to explore methods for quantifying marine biodiversity impacts in a credible way, with a focus on the development of standardised and transparent approaches for measurement and monitoring.
- Support teams across the business to create the tools, guidance and case studies to measure, manage and report on biodiversity impacts more effectively on an ongoing basis.
- Supporting the development of bespoke, competitive project-level environmental plans, initiatives and targets.
- Capturing and disclosing biodiversity impacts in line with key sustainability frameworks, while maintaining a sophisticated understanding of competitor and peer approaches and performance.
- Working with colleagues to continue to build, manage and foster excellent relationships with government, statutory bodies and industry specialists, with a particular focus to communicate SSER's ambition and commitment to marine biodiversity.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in an environmental strategy role, ideally with direct experience working on topics like biodiversity net gain, nature-based solutions and/or natural capital quantification and delivery.
- An excellent understanding of the key challenges and opportunities for biodiversity protection and enhancement in a marine environment.
- Brilliant stakeholder management skills, including engaging and working at all levels of an organisation and with a very wide range of external stakeholders.
- The ability to negotiate, influence and translate technical theory into clear, everyday language.
- Passion, ambition, and a real focus on delivery.
You don't need a background in Renewables to be considered for this role. As long as you have transferable skills, we welcome your application.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on 01738 351698.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert