Distribution - Contract Manager (Quantity Surveyor
- Hampshire, England, Cosham / England, Hampshire, Havant / Reading, England, Berkshire
- Closing date
- 9 Apr 2023
- Civil & Structural, Procurement, Other
- Construction & Building Services
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK which includes but is not limited to:- Reading, Havant, New Forest, Oxford, Melksham, Swindon, Slough
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100+ car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What are the opportunities?
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
We're looking for an experienced Contract Manager to join our SSEN Distribution Procurement and Commercial team to manage and support contracts covering a range of workstreams including tree cutting, substation, cabling and overhead line electrical works.
This will encompass the commercial management of works and services through all stages of the project process from inception right through to hand over of completed projects.
You will manage a team of Quantity Surveyors and be responsible for developing the team using your experience and knowledge to implement world class Commercial Management and support the key stakeholders as we move into the price control period; ED2.
About the Role
The key role for the Contract Manager is to identify and implement value opportunities throughout the development cycle in order to achieve the lowest cost that will support project, programme and portfolio success. You'll have the opportunity to use your experience to support the project team on a wide range of procurement and commercial issues, to challenge yourself through transitioning the team to a best-in-class model and also play an important role in the drive for a net zero carbon future. More specifically:
- Manage and drive effective commercial management and decision making.
- Stakeholder engagement to support during a period of new contracts and ways of working.
- Complying with all safety policies and procedures, promote safety and safe working practices both internally and externally to improve safety performance.
- Managing the procurement of essential work scopes, procuring at lowest cost of ownership and in accordance with the principle of efficiency and best value. This includes covering all commercial, business and legal project risks in contracts and negotiating terms and conditions within own area of responsibility to ensure ongoing value for money throughout the lifetime of the contract.
- Supporting all post contract commercial matters including negotiating/agreeing compensation events and ensuring that the core principles of the Commercial Manual are being implemented whilst maintaining supplier relationships.
- Building and supporting the development of relationships with suppliers/contractors and liaise with points of contact on project(s) / contract(s).
- Delivering all project contracts within approved budget authorisations.
What will you need?
We are looking for individuals who are degree qualified in Quantity Surveying or equivalent qualification and may either have, or be working towards, professional membership of a relevant technical or professional body, for example RICS.
We would also love you to have;
Demonstrable experience of managing Procurement & Commercial function delivery on large volume operational projects (programmes>£1m) including:
- Leading both pre/post contract commercial matters including estimating, sourcing, cost & budget management, and contract administration to ensure that the core principles of the Commercial Manual are being implemented.
- Detailed understanding of commercial value drivers within large and complex business cases.
- Interpreting, administration, drafting and negotiation of NEC contracts and practical means of performance incentivisation.
- Demonstrable stakeholder engagement and managements skills are essential, as is the ability to influence, lead and resolve disputes and problem solve.
Whats in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 344763
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert