Assistant Engineering Manager
- Aberdeen, Scotland / Perth, Perth & Kinross, Scotland / Scotland, Glasgow
- £51600 - £77400 per annum + car/allowance/pension/bonus
- Closing date
- 3 Apr 2023
- Electrical, Project Engineering, Other
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
- Engineering Manager
About the Role
Base Location: Perth, Aberdeen, Glasgow or Inverness.
Salary: £51,600 - £77,400 + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Transmission has a fantastic opportunity for an Assistant Engineering Manager to lead a team of multi-disciplined engineers through the delivery of high profile, high value and technically complex projects on the Electricity Transmission network in Scotland.
The role is responsible for taking projects from initial development and design, through to delivery, commissioning and hand over to operations.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Direct line management of a small team of multi-disciplined engineers/consultants (c.3-5 people) delivering a project portfolio of c.£100M-£200M.
- Supporting the Engineering Manager to ensure that sufficient and competent engineering resource is in place to meet design requirements and deliver value in engineering output.
- Ensuring technical specifications are correctly selected and implemented, and ensuring quality is delivered for all engineering deliverables.
- Promoting a positive safety culture within the project portfolio through the implementation of safety by design practices and ensuring rigour in compliance with relevant safety regulations.
- Working closely with project teams to ensure that engineering risks are identified and managed.
- Liaising with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure that engineering forms part of the project decision-making process and meets the needs of Operational users and overall network.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Qualification in a relevant engineering discipline and preferably be either a Chartered Engineer or working towards this. SSEN fully recognises, encourages and supports our engineers in this and their continued professional development.
- Demonstrable experience and technical knowledge of the Transmission network (or comparable industries) and its associated design and standards.
- Experience in leading engineering teams to deliver efficiently coordinated and value-engineered design solutions.
- Experience in line managing or coaching others to maximise their performance and support their personal development.
- Confidence in your ability to technically assess any potential problems and critically assess a range of technical solutions.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 342963
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert