Infrastructure Services - Lead Linux Engineer
- upto £63,000
- Closing date
- 30 Mar 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Systems
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Hybrid working pattern: The role allows for a hybrid working from an MBDA or home location as required to meet business demands - typically 3 days onsite & 2 days at home
Become the Technical lead of Information Management's Linux Service & act as our Subject Matter Expert ensuring our environment is agile, reliable, secure and meets the changing needs of our business.
NB: Please note that the successful applicant will need to be in agreement to achieving the required levels of security clearance with acceptable restrictions or no restrictions (SC then DV),
- Act as a conduct & interface between our internal customers, colleagues and suppliers ensuring we operate effective and efficient Linux Services that meet realistic business needs, with high levels of reliability & performance at reasonable cost.
- Devise and implement automation services in the Linux environments to improve the agility and consistency of our Linux Services.
- Manage, monitor, process and implement systems / services monitoring solutions to improve system reliability & availability
- Liaise with other departments in identifying and resolving Linux technical business issue e.g. in software development environment in Lab environments
- Help ensure that technical knowledge is maintained to an appropriate level within I.M. and our Suppliers in order to support current and future business needs e.g. identify areas of weakness, areas of new technology that MBDA should exploit.
- Produce, manage and monitor roadmaps (technical & business) for our Linux estate & supporting applications & infrastructure
- Apply oversight to Supplier service & operations; introduce ideas on how we can improve service and suggests mitigations to risks that may affect services and solutions
- Proven very good knowledge of Linux distros & technologies such as RHEL; Ubuntu etc.
- Shown understanding & implementation of Containerisation & virtualisation technologies such as Docker, Podman, various hypervisors and how these can be exploited in real-life
- You will have experience of understanding & implementing Automation, management & monitoring technologies such as Ansible, Kubernetes, Rancher, Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana & Dynatrace etc. and how these can be exploited in real-life
- Ability to work effectively in multi-discipline, multi-cultural and diverse teams including directly with technical customers who develop applications in Linux & Microsoft environments
- You will be able to resolve complex technical problems with the capability to own and lead mixed discipline teams driving resolution and root cause fixes
- Understanding of High Performance Computing principles & technologies
- Understanding of Database Technologies such as MySQL, MariaDB
- Understanding of Network & storage solutions in support of Linux environments
- Operational understanding of Cloud Services and their infrastructure components including platforms such as Microsoft Azure
Join a great team!
We have an excellent record of accomplishment for delivery. It is collaborative in nature, flexible and open-minded. We will offer you the chance to bring innovation and shape the future of IT within MBDA.
The team have won many Business awards for "contribution to the Business" and "working together as a team" in 2019, 2020 & 2021. This is because every member has the opportunity to broaden their horizons - both in technical knowledge & managerial
What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert