SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, SSE Renewables (SSER) continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. SSER Renewables is positioned to play a critical role in delivering on that strategic ambition, with the goals of more than trebling net capacity in operation to 13GW and growing renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years. Onshore Renewables is a key element of delivering on that strategic growth agenda, with major growth opportunities across Onshore Wind, Hydro, Storage and new technologies.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading and Havant.
Salary: Up to £108,700 depending on skills and experience + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Within the SSE Renewables Onshore business, Onshore Engineering plays a significant role through the provision of expertise across a wide range of engineering and technical disciplines to ensure best practice project delivery and asset management.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, and a key member of the Onshore Renewable Engineering Leadership Team, the Head of Engineering - Electrical, Control Instrumentation and Grid is responsible for the delivery of all capital project engineering requirements across a challenging £bn Renewables capital portfolio.
In addition to the above, some of your other key responsibilities will include:-
- Overseeing all project engineering activities across the Renewables capital portfolio, and ensuring they comply with project governance framework.
- Providing assurance to the Design Authority and SSER that the technology choice and design solution will achieve the stated project goals and returns.
- Understanding asset risks and ensuring appropriate mitigation is developed and effective.
- Being a strong communicator, outgoing and collaborative. Leading, coaching and inspiring multiple specialists engineering teams, providing them with appropriate strategic direction to effectively deliver on time and within budget.
- Overseeing the resource management and co-ordination of complex and conflicting project portfolio requirements in line with agreed project costs and schedule.
- Understanding the need for diligent application of national standards, ensuring designs and activities are compliant and appropriate to the operational demands.
What do I need?
We are seeking a Senior Engineering Manager who can demonstrate success at a senior level within a large project and asset management organisation. Can build and lead high performing teams whilst ensuring all activities are undertaken safely and to the required high level of governance.
To be considered for this role, we would also love you to have:-
- A Chartered Engineer qualification, and preferably membership of the Engineering Council with a proven background of professional development for themselves and new graduates.
- Experience in delivering complex and high-value project engineering development and construction activities, including specifications, QA and commissioning, often with tight deadlines and budgets.
- Experience of design and specifications of High Voltage systems, preferably both AC and DC systems, with strong understanding of national grid codes, compliance and testing.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the energy markets. Can understand market trends and how engineering can provide a competitive advantage. Financially aware with a keen eye for ensuring value can be demonstrated in all our activities and budgets.
- A good understanding of modern asset management systems, both physical and commercial. With a proven ability to drive continual improvement in processes and the organisation.
- Knowledge of delivering across European energy markets would be highly advantageous.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.