Nuclear Safety Engineers (Office Based)
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- England, Berkshire / Hampshire, England, Basingstoke
- £33850 - £65000 per annum
- Closing date
- 4 Apr 2023
- Control & Instrumentation, Materials, Nuclear, Scientific, Systems
- Aerospace & Aviation, Nuclear Industry, Oil & Gas, Power, Sciences
- Job Type
AWE is at a once-in-a-generation moment supporting national security, managing the in-service Trident warhead and embarking on the development of a replacement warhead. This unique challenge requires innovative and curious minds to ensure the safety of the UK's nuclear deterrent throughout its lifecycle.
We are seeking Nuclear Safety engineers with diverse skillsets, who are at various stages of their careers to join our dynamic team. We are proud to have such a friendly and supportive group for you to join and offer excellent development opportunities for our staff to progress within the team (e.g. training upto MSc level if desired).
Nuclear Safety Engineers (Office Based)
Location: Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £33,850 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing date: 6th April 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration (optional)
Key aspects of the role will be to provide an in-house warhead safety assessment capability in support of delivering the company's strategic objectives. The role will entail effective delivery of warhead safety assessments and providing advice on warhead safety, systems, electrical or mechanical design, explosives, nuclear and process engineering.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
Deliver warhead safety assessments on time and in full, aligned with company management procedures
Conduct safety analysis against requirements and standards across the full engineering lifecycle
Ability to apply appropriate safety methods, tools and techniques to a product (HAZID, HAZOP, FTA, FMEA, bowtie analysis, etc.)
Ability to consider higher level system and detailed component or material issues
Liaise with a range of stakeholders as part of a wider system design and verification team, balancing conflicting priorities and perspectives
Support external activities as required as part of the Outreach and Engineering Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia
Skills and experience
Honours Degree (or equivalent) in science, engineering or closely related discipline or equivalent level of experience
Experience of high consequence safety assessments or are looking to develop within a nuclear safety focussed role
Experience in high hazard environments or related industries
A practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering and scientific judgement and with broad experience in using fundamental engineering and scientific skills
As you would expect for such a role, the highest security clearance is required. You must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary clearance which may take some time. Occasional international travel will be required as part of the role.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert