SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant. There will be a requirement to travel to our offices in Perth or Glasgow when need to be with the team and wider stakeholder group.
Salary: Up to £108,700 depending on skills an experience + car / car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Director of Development & Construction for UK and Ireland, as our Head of Onshore Renewables Consents you will be responsible for leading a team of specialist Consents Strategy Managers and Consents Advisors working on projects such as Coire Glas Pumped Storage, Gordonbush Hydrogen, Galway Hydrogen, along with advising Portfolio Delivery Teams on consenting strategies for all onshore wind and new hydro projects in line with SSER's Net Zero Acceleration Plan (NZAP), and supporting the teams responsible for developing solar, battery and PtX opportunities in both GB and Ireland and emerging markets.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include;
- Managing and leading a team of Consents Strategy Managers and Consents Advisors responsible for supporting and providing guidance and advice to the Project Delivery Teams across UK&I through all stages of the development and construction process for onshore wind, hydro, battery, solar and PtX projects. This will include fostering a team culture where colleagues are supported, and lessons learned are shared to promote best practice.
- Maintaining effective communication across the delivery teams and with support functions and senior management to ensure there is consistency in the way we develop projects across the portfolio and consenting risks are understood and mitigated.
- Working with team to build and maintain excellent relationships with key external stakeholders including statutory consultees, non-statutory bodies, NGO's, key interest groups, industry representatives and key local community leaders and members.
- Supporting the coordination of consent related consultation responses on emerging policy issues liaising with external consultees and internal teams to deliver responses reflecting the business needs and future business requirements in line with SSER strategy.
- Working with the Head of Development for GB and for Ireland to ensure all consent requirements and obligations are carried forward with the projects via the Project Delivery Teams through the full lifecycle of the projects as required.
- Supporting any due diligence required by SSER on new ventures.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive experience operating in a similar senior level management role, taking full ownership of the consenting lifecycle and developing projects through the various consenting phases.
- Demonstrable understanding of feasibility studies, EIA, appeals and refining as projects progress into the construction phase.
- Proven ability in successful leading multi-disciplined teams.
- A strong commercial understanding of project economics, and where to push boundaries in order to identify opportunities and drive value.
- A successful track record of representing companies in industry groups and influencing and negotiating at a senior strategic level.
- A solid grasp of industry challenges and how to balance competing project constraints.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.